Wanting a new handgun.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Winchester94, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Ever since I fired my first handgun, a Colt Diamondback .22lr, I've been addicted to handguns.
    I have four already, a Colt Match Target .22lr, a Heritage Arms .22lr/.22WMR revolver, a Umarex 1911 Government Model .22lr, and a Walther P1 9mm.
    I've been shopping around and found several handguns I would love to own but am having trouble deciding which one to get.
    I live on a large piece land owned my Grandmother, but many members if my family live in a very close proximity to each other. Black bears, bob cats, and coyote are becoming prevalent around here. I'd like to have a gun for defense against the bears particularly. The guns are a $630 Ruger Blackhawk. 357 Magnum, a $400 used Glock. 45ACP, or a $370 Taurus .357. Which would be best for defense and to be somewhat concerned?

2. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I meant concealable. I should mention that I'd like to be able to conceal it as to not make anyone around me nervous.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Have you ever shot a bear?

I would consider getting a rifle.
    The handgun is a tool used to get to the rifle.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I wouldn't really consider any of them a great option for bear or concealability. They can be concealed, I carry a glock 20 when the weather permits a cover shirt, but it isn't really an option in the summer. That said of the choices I'd go ruger or glock.

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

No, I've never shot a bear. I have a Winchester 1894 .30-30 with a 16" barrel that would probably be a more effective tool. But, I'm hoping to have a smaller, easy to carry rig.
    Thanks for the response! :)

6. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I hadn't considered spring or Sumner carry, but that's a really good point.
    Thanks for the response. :)

7. orangello

orangello New Member

What about a .44 Ruger revolver (I love the classic Redhawk) and some bear spray.

A Mossberg 500 with their "defender" package would be the cheapest option. It would also be sending the biggest chunk of lead at Yogi's sorry ***. Put a sling on it; who finds a slung shotgun scary afterall.

8. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have a Ruger Blackhawk. It's a fine weapon, but not one I would want to pack on my side for long periods of time. It's a bit too heavy and just too nice for use as a utility/work gun.

9. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I would love to have one! But the only one I've found at LGS is an Alaskan. But, it's out of my price range.
    The bear spray is something I am planning on.

10. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

The Blackhawk is a beautiful gun and is pretty weighty. All of he good things I've heard about it is why I want it.

11. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

The 500 is a good idea that I had considered. It wouldn't be as light as a and gun, but is better than banging up my Winchester 94!

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I had an older model 500; I changed out the beat up wooden furniture for some more durable plastic furniture that may be a little bit lighter weight. I also put a 18.5" barrel on it for home use. It is no handgun, but with a sling, it wouldn't be bad.

13. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I agree, I also like the lower price tag on the 500 at my LGS! I can come shotgun ammo easier than handgun ammo cheaper these days also.
    Thank you for your input! :).

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

First of all Bears and Handguns do not equal great protection. But I assume you are speaking of Black Bear? For concealment obviously the Glock 45 ACP would be a good choice. For power a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. But another great choice for a Rifle that is small is a 458 SOCOM AR-15 Rifle since it has a collapsible stock and 16" barrel which makes it smaller and easy to handle. For example I am unsing a 325 Gr. Hornady FTX round in mine. But certainly not a pistol. 1900 FPS

15. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I'd love you have an AR like that, but my very limited funds keep me from it. I guess I could save for it, but I'd rather have the gun quicker.
    Thanks for the response.: )

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Get the Mossy 500 for bear protection.

Then, since you said you want another handgun anyway, get the Taurus in .357 Magnum. Together they will probably be hardly more, possibly comparable in price, to the Ruger by itself.