Want to start deer hunting. What kind of rifle do iI need?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by running_fool, Feb 1, 2013.

1. running_fool

running_fool New Member

I live in Utah and have a lot of mule deer in my area so I figure I'd start hunting. Now I need a rifle. Problem is I don't know what to get. Any suggestions? 30-06. 270. 270 short mag, weatherby 257....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. KA5ROW

KA5ROW New Member

I use the same ear plugs I use at work. Got a Browning 7 mm mag with the boss. I was told it would be loud. Shot it twice and went in the house to get plugs.

Wal-Mart has several in the pain med. isle you can get 10 pair for $2.97 I use the green ones, good for 33 dB.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The .30-06 is pretty much the standard by which hunting rifles are judged. I've taken antelope, deer and a couple of moose with my Model 70 featherweight .30-06.

Recoil is mild, and it's fairly flat shooting.

KA5ROW, ya really should get a good set of earmuff type protectors to go over those plugs. I am reminded of that every morning when I put my hearing aids in my ears.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I use a Remington 700 30-06 for antelope and mulies in WY, and a Ruger M77 International .243 stalking the woods of TN for white tail. Of all, white tail tastes the best IMO.
    A close friend swears by his Sako .270. And so it goes!

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

There is not an animal in North America that can't be taken down by a 30-06. You also have a great selection of ammo, even more so if you reload.

6. fritz57

fritz57 New Member

Yes, any of those!

7. springfield45wv

springfield45wv New Member

Use a 308. I live in wv an have killed 250lb deer at 300yd with a 250grain bullet.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

even though i own many different calibers that will all work just fine for deer, my suggestion will always be the 30-06 for someone new to hunting deer. simply because if you don't reload, selection of factory ammo is so much better than most other calibers, there is just very few places you can't get the ammo if needed, there is just about any platform of type of rifle chambered in 30-06 available just about anywhere, and simply because the cartridge has been around for over one hundred years and just about any game animal can be taken in North America if a person uses proper ammo and proper shot placement.

yeah, the 30-06 gets my vote as the best to start with.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

.308 Winchester...................

10. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Everyone of course has their favorites but IMO its hard to go wrong wrong with a quality bolt action rifle chambered in anything from .25 through .30 caliber. They will all do the job if you do yours.

11. CatawbaHammer

CatawbaHammer New Member

30.06 is a good choice for large game. Remington 7400 is a good semi-auto or Model 74 has been popular for years. Down south I hunt deer, wild hogs, and the occasional coyote with a Ruger 270.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A 250 gr. bullet in a .308? :D In Utah a 25-06 would serve you well for desert and Mtn game. You can use it for Prairie dogs and coyote during the off season.:)

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

If 30-06 is a good start (and it is), why not the standard Remington 700? I don't see the need for semi-auto 7400 for a first deer rifle.

30-30's my choice, though. To 200 yards, it will take almost anything. I even use aperture sights instead of a scope, but limit my shots to about 100 yards.

14. running_fool

running_fool New Member

What about a weather by 257 or a 270 short mag? Anyone have any experience with either of these?

15. Axxe55

both are excellent calibers, but unless you reload, factory ammo is a bit pricy. which means, using factory loaded ammo only, every shot taken is going to be expensive. there are just some calibers that are more suited to people who reload, and these two happen to fall into that catagory.

16. running_fool

running_fool New Member

I hear the Ruger 270 American is a good gun. One of those "underrated little gems".

17. drgundude

drgundude New Member

It's all about what you like to shoot. All of the guns will take a deer. That being said I personally like my 338 for hunting areas where I might shoot over 200 yards. Never want to say I wish I had more gun

18. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

running fool, of cartridges mentioned, go with a .308 Win. Ammo availability is good and it will pretty much do anything a 30-06 will do with less recoil. If you find a 7mm-08 rifle for a decent price, this cartridge would do just fine too for hunting, but its ammo is not as commonly stocked in stores like .308 or 30-06.

As to a particular brand/type rifle to buy....Most of what I've read on this and other gun websites has been positive about the Ruger American, so would probably be a good choice for your first rifle. I've only handled the Ruger American in a few local gun stores and if it was available in a cartridge I wanted/needed, I'd probably buy one just to try it out.

Another brand bolt rifle to consider is the Marlin. Do own a couple of them and consider it a better rifle than other entry type rifles such as a Stevens 200 or Savage Axis. I own a couple of Stevens and one Axis too.

19. Axxe55

actually the 7mm-08 ammo is becoming a little more popular and ammo selection is getting better. but compared to the 308, it's still a bit pricy. excellent caliber and very good ballistics as well. it's also a good centerfire caliber for younger shooter to graduate to due to the mild recoil. the 7mm-08 is one of my favorites.

i have to agree with the Marlins! excellent rifles. very accurate and very well made. for the amount of quality and features, the Marlin X7's are bargain.

20. kingrider

kingrider New Member

I love the 7mm-08, it's usually the rifle I grab when I'm after deer. Being that this is a new hunter though I would have to recommend the '06, It works so well on deer that its almost boring lol. Ammo is usually found in many different brands and bullet weights at most big box stores too.