want to buy

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mrugg, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Mrugg

Mrugg New Member

I am new to the semi pistol world. I am wanting to get one in a .45 ACP. I don't want to spend a pile of cash. My question is how is the high point for a beginner.

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

...dont do that. Get a used rock island for 350. Or a eaa .45 for 350

3. Mrugg

Mrugg New Member

What eaa? I have been looking at rock island.

4. jasrrt

jasrrt New Member

Agreed. The carbines are pretty fun to shoot, but the pistols are bulky and uncomfortable.

5. Mrugg

Mrugg New Member

Very good looking gun. I didn't know about them thanks.

6. tacticalfun

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Another very good entry level gun is Taurus. There are probably 4 or 5 .45 Taurus's that you can find in the low to mid $300's.

Being a new shooter is there a reason you chose a .45 for your first gun? I love a .45 myself but it is a lot of power for a brand new shooter.

8. tacticalfun

I try to start everyone out on a 9mm...but my dad did start me on a 45-70 so i do understand

9. Mrugg

Mrugg New Member

I am not new to shooting. I am new to the semi auto pistols. I have revolvers,shot guns,rifles,a tc pistol and flintlocks. Big and small Cal. I am just not sure what I will think of semi pistols.

10. tacticalfun

The low point will turn you off

11. Mrugg

Mrugg New Member

What actually are the down falls of it.

12. tacticalfun

Top heavy. Lucky if you hit anything. Blowback operated.ugly.cheap. lose half the value when you buy it. The top slide is a scale model of a 747.

13. Mrugg

Mrugg New Member

So it's basically a piss of crap

14. Mrugg

Mrugg New Member

Thanks for the great schooling I got here

15. Glock17owner

Glock17owner New Member

I agree I would get the g2 or pt 845. I seen a man shoot a thousand rds thru one with no problem. But remember taurus QC is poor. It's like playing a slot machine. You might hit or you might miss.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Avoid that brand at all costs. I know people have had good luck with their (fill in the blank) and it's the best gun they ever owned, blah, blah, blah. Don't fall for it.

Since you didn't mention a price or design you could go with a good mid-range 1911 or something in the Glock or XD style. I have heard the Remington and Rock Island 1911's are pretty decent, but limited in selection. On the other hand, based on personal experience with the brand, you couldn't run fast enough to give me a Kimber.

The only .45 ACP I own right now is a Sig 1911. It's never given me a bit of problem, but it may be out of your price range. Over the years I have had a couple Springfield Armory 1911's and they were great guns, but again a little pricey.

17. kycol

kycol New Member

Well I can't say it's the best I ever owned I can't say it is the worst ether. I have 3 hi points a 9mm and 45acp pistol and a 9mm carbine. Haven't had the first problem with any of them. I also have 3 rock islands of which I love the 9mm tactical the best. If you have the cash I'd say you can't go wrong with a rock island, but I wouldn't say stay away from the hi points ether mine is accurate and eat ammo just fine. Just because it is inexpensive doesn't mean it cheap. Can't beat the warranty