Want a SA revolver! Cowboy style.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Halfwatt, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

I am in the market for a revolver. Nothing too spendy. But for the money. Reliable. In the. 357 cal.

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It really depends? Do you want a traditional single action revolver? That would be without modern safety features. The older SAA did not have a transfer bar allowing for only 5 loaded chambers during carry.
    The modern Ruger revolvers have transfer bars allowing all 6 chambers to be loaded while carrying. The Ruger has high heat treated cylinders which will allow a steady diet of +P level loads.:)

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

Sounds like you need a Ruger Vaquero.

image-1917654190.jpg

image-598388957.jpg

image-661228826.jpg

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

+1 Can't go wrong with a Ruger.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The correct one word answer is - -Ruger

Attached Files:

6. Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Seems Ruger is the favorite here. What about the Uberti or pietta in the 1873 style?

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have a Ruger old Vaquero in stainless with 'ivory' grips, you can't go wrong with the vaquero.

Ive been eying those uberti's myself though. Looking at a brass/case colored 4 3/4 inch, beautiful.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Another one for Ruger. If I am not mistaken, the older 3 screw Rugers can be upgraded to the modern safety system, no? This is done by them for free.

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I own a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a 9mm conversion barrel, and a Uberti Stallion chambered in 38. They are totally different guns. As said earlier in this post, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want traditional, the Uberti is the way to go. If you want power and strength and a gun built like a sherman tank, the ruger will be your best friend. I enjoy shooting both.

10. towboater

towboater Active Member

Rugers are nice. But they ain't got the 4 clicks.
    Here is a Uberti.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Colt SAA has 4 clicks. It says C- O- L -T when you pull the hammer back.:)

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

That's why I never bought the Ruger. I need those four clicks, but it still feels different in the hand. I only own 1st and 2nd generation Colts, but did break down 10 years ago and bought a Cimmaron Bisley Flat Top Target 44-40 with 7 1/2"barrel. I love that revolver. The Italians did their homework well.
    [​IMG]

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Didn't the 3 screw Rugers have 3 clicks?

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There is a strange thing at work here. There have been thousands of Colt Army SA copies made over the years. But no one has every got it right. There is a feel to a Colt grip like shaking hands with an old friend.:)

15. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Ruger does ofer this service, and for free. BUT.......

If you want the transfer bar safety, buy a New Model Blackhawk. Those converted are turned into revolvers with stiff, gritty trigger pulls and clackety-clack actions. If you don't want, or are scared of a traditional single action, sell it or trade it. I've had one Super Blackhawk so converted and bought two already converted. They are all now back in their original condition.

Here is a converted three-screw .357 Magnum I bought several years ago:

[​IMG]

The same gun, now a .44 Special and back to original configuration:

[​IMG]

Bob Wright

16. Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

All nice pieces. Anyone dealt with any Pietta? I have been reading how they have improved their QC.

17. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Actually the USFA are exact copies. They're pricey, but you do get what you pay for and I'd trust them over the recently manufactured Colts and they're a bit cheaper. For a number of reasons Colt has declined in my opinion, which saddens me a lot. Even the USFA Manfacturing Co. may be heading in the same direction unfortunately. This is their new business, but their timing stinks considering the outcry regarding so called aw's. www.usfazipfactory.com
    They should've stuck with what they did best!:(

18. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Check out The Evil Roy by Cimarron. I have heard good things.

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Evil Roy 6 guns that were shipped to our LGS. Have been there for months. They are not that great.

I like this Lipsey Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP

Attached Files: