Want a new 5.56/.223 for under $1000

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by budhvy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. budhvy

budhvy New Member

Own a few firearms, but have always wanted an AR platform, my budget (to be financially responsible), would be $900 before taxes. I am only able to get out to the range bi-monthly, and would be using it mostly for paper-punching, but would also prefer it be reliable as a home-defense option.

I would also prefer my newest tool to accept both 5.56 and .223. I am okay with buying aftermarket flip-up sights, if not included, (with an optic as a possibility down the road).

Any input would be greatly appreciated (I know this is a widely debated topic, so please, no fighting...I'm just just seeking opinions and information through the most reliable forum available).

Thanks! (in advance)

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I'm sure many here will chime in and say the same thing, Try Palmetto State Armory. You can put together a quality rifle with optics for well under 1000 these days and PSA has awesome quality for the money.
    If you check there daily deals you can piece together a nice rifle easily. They have deals on complete rifles as well. Look for deals on complete lowers and complete uppers.

Another good one is Rock River Arms. They are quality and start at about $1000 and go up from there.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Well, if you are not afraid of tinkering I suggest building one. You can get WAY more for your buck by building. Refer to this ( http://palmettostatearmory.com ) website for all your building needs.
    Building an AR is not as massive an undertaking as it sounds, and there are many here that will give you all the tips needed.

Buying locally:
    If you do not want to build, there are a few good sub 1k guns out there. IMO, Windham Weaponry happens to be one of the better values on the market. A standard WW rifle with iron sights and an M4 barrel should be $750-$850 give or take.

The optics ready M&P15 from Smith&Wesson is also a good choice.

4. budhvy

budhvy New Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I don't to build my first AR, though I know I'll get the fever down the road. Also curious about free-floated barrels, but think that may push me out of my price point. Or is there an affordable aftermarket option for that?

5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I prefer FF barrels on my builds, but in a 100yd-200yd gun it's really not necessary. The accuracy difference isn't prominently seen until 250yds and beyond. Just my experience. However, there are more rail options available with a FF barrel.

Most guns that come with a FF barrel will put you over $1k.

6. ccase39

ccase39 Member

If you don't want to build I still suggest buying a complete upper and complete lower from PSA. You can still get a hell of a deal without having to build. I got a complete premium upper with a nice Kmod free float rail for 400. Paired with one of their lowers would still put u way under 1000. No building necessary.

7. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Picked up an Olympic Arms in 5.56 at my local LGS for about $785 out the door. No sights, but the gas block is the same height as the receiver which makes BUS easier in my opinion. Don't have to worry about finding dual sights. Have another $90 into my optics. Installed an cheap Tasco 3-9X40 scope with the P-Series mount rings. The thing I liked about buying local is I have it my hands now.

Slick Guns is a good website to watch for deals. When it comes down to it there is two major assy's to the AR platform. A completed lower receiver and a completed upper receiver. I included the charging handle and the bolt carrier group in the completed upper. Anyway these two "major" assy's can be purchased separate and two pins and it is done. The options doing this is you can go cheap on one and spend a little more on the other.

PSA also is the sole distributor for PTAC. I'm not sure if this is a less expensive line of the PSA name or if they are just distributing it for an up and coming company. I have seen some good about the PTAC.

If you do decide to buy online expect a longer weight. Some places are still slightly behind playing catch up according to a lot of the forums I have visited. Also the barrel assy can be shipped to your address without going through a FFL. The lower does have to go through a FFL.

Hope this helps, from a new AR owner. Just over a month.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The new Mossberg (built, we are told, by Stag Arms) seems like a great deal for $700. It has rail mounted, removable "full size" iron sights. I have not shot it, but inspected one just yesterday at a major gun show (and my buddy bought it).

If you don't care to have the forward-assist and the dust cover (both redundant in a sports/HD rifle) you can have a S&W M&P-15 Sport for $600. I owned one, it was absolutely reliable, and as accurate as any.

This is a great time to purchase an AR. It is a buyer's market that few of us during the Winter of Doom of 2012 could anticipate. Buy soon.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  9. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

budhvy, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have but I can help you out with exactly what you want and need and within your budget. I can maximize your dollar and get you the most for what you want to spend.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

No more than the OP intends to use the rife I would just get a DPMS or an Olympic. Both rifles are more accurate than 99% of shooters. Hell, my wife shoots her Hi Point more than the OP is saying he will use the rifle.

Don't buy into all the crap about needing optics for a AR 15. Get a good set of iron sights and learn to use them.

11. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

Hate to tell you this, but your Olympic AR is one of the biggest POS AR's there is. But your friendly LGS conveniently neglected to tell you this, didn't they? OBTW, for $785, you got butt raped.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  12. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Ams that is exactly the kind of rifle I was talking about. Hard to find a decent rifle for that price and those function every bit as good as a1000 rifle.
    He could spend $100 dollars more and get an upper with the free float he's looking for.

13. ccase39

ccase39 Member

14. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

15. ams556

ams556 New Member

16. ccase39

ccase39 Member

True, but deals do come along with a FF and BCG and charging handle some. Not as often as the standard hand guard but they are there if you look. I signed up for their emails and check it every day. I almost bought one of those Mennonite uppers but I just don't know enough about them. For the price though it might be worth a shot.

I wish I had listened when people told me about PSA when I made my first buy. I wound up buying a Bushmaster for right around 1k during the panic when I could have gotten a PSA for a little less and had much more of a rifle. I have not had any problems whatsoever with the BM, but my PSA is definitely of higher quality.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  17. ccase39

ccase39 Member

18. fdefireman2

fdefireman2 New Member

My first AR was a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 sport. Was a great rifle for a great price, they are about $570.00 from the short research I did, I am sure you could find a deal on one. Comes with magpul rear sight and standard from sight. Never had any issues with it and it ate everything I threw at it. Here are the specs from Smith and Wesson

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk