Wanna build kit?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by bmynrd731, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows were i can get a really nice blackpowder kit cheap. I have books where i can order the parts one peice at a time but want a nice kit to build first. I found one at Cabellas but havent talked to anyone who has built one, nobody i talked to at mine has built one. Any help as to were to get a nice one would be helpful to me. :D

2. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I think Cabella's has the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in kit form. That's about the best production gun on the market. While not a kit if you want a period correct rifle and top quality parts check out Pecatonica River. Their stocks are 98% inletted and they have a list of suggested parts to make an authentic rifle of every kind used back in the day. Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply

3. tac

tac New Member

Hello,
    Try Dixie Gun Works they have a lot of kit guns.

dixiegunworks.com
    Hope this helps.
    TAC

4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Highest prices around too.

5. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Sad but true. Thirty odd years ago they were the "go to" folks for anything black powder. I used by my caps from them 1000 at a time. (still have one of the metal cap boxes from them). Also got some good deals on guns. I remember my first revolver was a Colt Army I paid around $60 for. :confused:

6. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

+1 on what Hawg said I have built the GPR in flint .54 cal and just love it.
    F.K.

7. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

thanks

I actually went to green mountian and found a 50 cal blackpowder barrel for un 200 dollars and since i have the wood i am going to try a full build of one over the rest of the winter since i am a truck driver i dont get to hunt blackpowder this year. I will put a few of the biulds in the diy section. Thanks for your help gentlemen i found what i wanted and i am going to finally get the guns i want for a change instead of what everyone thinks i should have. I might even use the next door neighbors heater and make a few of the parts myself. He use to tinker with rot iron and metal stuff. i will see how it goes

8. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Have fun and take your time . Black Powder is an adiction and can turn into a way of life.

F.K.

P.S. check out the muzzleloading forum . they have some great building tutorials.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

10. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

ziwenbi, your starting to piss me off. You wont like me when I'm mad.

11. vulture

vulture New Member

If you have never built one of these before then I strongly sugest you get yourself a good how too book. There is one called, I think, Building the Kentucky Rifle. I've used it before. I'm a bit of a cheat and always purchased my stock pre-carved, that is with the barrel channel inlet, the ram rod hole drilled, and the stock rough shapped. I've inlet two barrels from scratch in my lifetime and neither was a whole lot of fun, and both were a whole lot of work, but very satisfying once done. I personally wouldn't touch trying to build my own lock, butt plate, or trigger and trigger gaurd, just because I'm not that good a metal smith, but I have fashioned my own odds and ends like the nose cap, side plate oposite the lock, and the wedge plates, and yes they have a special name but I can't think of it right now and probably couldn't spell it if I could think of it. I built several kits prior to taking on the semi custom scratch job. All in all it was a lot of fun, even with all the work, and very satisying once they were finished. I scratch built two caplock and one flintlock rifles and one flintlock pistol. I wish you the best of luck.

12. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

Thanks for your information but i have the tools already i do wood working and have for about 20 years so thats the easy part, lol. (wishfull thinking) I dont have to cut the barrels becuase Green Mountain has the barrel and the rod already made and put together as a complete product for anywhere from 199.00 $ to about 300.00 $ so i am good, i also have a company that i can get the other parts from so i have set about in getting the stuff now i have the Claro walnut in the man cave. LOL thanks for the help and if ya can would ya put a picture of the guns you built if you still have them please i love older guns i really want a wheel lock gun but i heard from an older gunsmith that those are hell to get to work right and even more of a pain in the ass to fix and biuld. Oh well i am a gunsmith also so i love older guns and now that i finally have a workshop i am doing what i want to now. And YES I AM not MArried yet LMAO. so i am spendng it all before my fiance` gets it lol. thanks brian...