Wanna be a shooter

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by futureshooter, May 1, 2012.

1. futureshooter

futureshooter New Member

Hello,
    I really want to practice shooting except there are some problems. My parents have brought me to the local range and rented some guns for me, and my friends dad brought me some times. Ive shot some 1191's , and some rugers.

But the problem is my parents dont really want to take me, and they dont have any expirence with guns, and they know nothing about it. Also i am 14, so i dont think i cant get a license to buy my own gun. But i really want to continue practicing. the only way i am continuing practicing is through airsoft. I play alot of airsoft but i really want a real firearm.

Any suggestions?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, until you are 18, you are required to go with what your parents say. And no, under Federal law, you cannot buy any firearm until you are 18 (21 for a handgun)

Now, as far as shooting in the meantime- WITH THE CONSENT OF YOUR PARENTS- Do you have other relatives that you can shoot with- or parents of one of your friends? Is there a Youth Shooting Sports group where you are? One of the groups is the 4-H in many areas. You can also check with the NRA and your State Rifle Association for youth groups in your area. These typically include small bore rifle and shotgun (skeet or trap)

And you can start by letting us know what state you are in- rules and opportunities vary.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Check your local laws, you may be able to go to BB guns or pellet

guns when you get older, with the consent of your parents.

Fortunately I made all my stupid mistakes with BB guns.

Hit myself with ricochets, shot myself in the thumb, and

nearly put my eye out twice.(yeah, I was your age...)

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I would try and talk to your patents see if theirs anything that you can do to maybe get them more into it, you could always try to talk them into getting a 22 there pretty cheap and anyone can shoot one. If not I would go with a BB gun, airsoft is fun as hell I use to play it all the time when I was in high school but I know what you mean completely different feeling when you shoot a real gun. I wasn't able to get the range much when I was younger my dad was working all the time and my mom never really liked guns. I shot my BB gun regularly when I couldn't get to the range I was buying bulk packs of BB's every week, the main thing I loved about my BB gun was that I could work on my trigger control, sight picture, even flinching to a point. I think BB guns are a great thing to have to work on your shooting skills, I wasn't able to get into shooting as much as I wanted too until I was 17 but you know you can always talk to your parents maybe even get a job and get some money together and talk to them about maybe buying a 22. The only reason I got my first 22 I worked shoveling crap and throwing bags of feed I talked to my parents and showed them I had the money and after a week long talk they finally agreed to buy a 22 for me.

Good luck I hope everything works out for you, but keep in mind that your parents are your boss till your 18 and respect and manners can get you farther then angry words.

5. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

[​IMG]

Mmmm....Patience he must have. Parents must judge his maturity. Is he ready? No. He is not ready. Patient he must be. Is he reckless? Are his friends crazy? How will he act when his girlfriend breaks up with him? Does he wear a black trench coat and listen to emo music? What happens when he gets a big fat F in shop class? Is he level headed and responsible? Hmmmm.... His parents will see. Read up. Study he must. Learn and live the safety rules. See if he can build a nice safe BB gun range or get involved with an air rifle team. What about a slingshot, archery, or darts? Airsoft and video games will prepare him for combat. But, hmmm...., be careful what you wish for. One day the government may give you a gun and a place to go use it.

6. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Ah that's tough, when I was under 18 I was really into airsoft (and still am), built my own guns (500FPS+ AEGs) and that kept me busy for a long time. Building these guns develops intuition that can be used when doing maintenance on real guns later on. In terms of internals, AEGs are more complicated and have a lot more parts than their real steel counterpart.
    Anyway back on topic, maybe you have "cool" cousins or relatives that can take you but what's for sure is that you can't legally go to the range on your own. I know 18 feels like a long way so you have 4 years to convince your parents that a .22 is cheap, fun and doesn't over penetrate.

7. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

My best years were 1 thru 18, when I lived in that state of illusion where we went the grandma's house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Oh those good old days where the family had their gatherings and picnics, going to church and learning about Jesus.

Then at 19 years old the letter came in the mail: "Greeting, you have been selected by your friends and neighbors to participate in the armed forces." That was the period in my life where I was thrust into the state of reality where we went to other countries for killing, burning, and plunder.

Oh those good old days where the soldiers had their gatherings around the objective for mad-minute shooting, shelling, and bombing. Oh how the gun has brought peace to this miserable world by mass killing and plundering the wealth and resources of others.

Being 14 years old, take this wonderful moment of your youth and smell the rose, for the smell of death will forever change mature life. "So help me God."

8. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

LOL! I love it!

I still shoot a daisy bb gun and like it.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hey, I wear a black trench coat and listen to brain rot cranked up full

blast... ...was I any better when I was that age?

10. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You're lucky that your parents--who have no experience with guns--have been open-minded enough to take you to a range. That's rare. Any possibility of your dad becoming interested in shooting with you? Sounds like a good father-son learning experience to me. If not, you'll just have to do what some others have suggested and be patient.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Proven responsibility goes a long way.

Apply that to all you do, and you will have plenty of support for your activities.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This is sooo true.

Case in point: I allowed my daughter, an honors student through

grade school and high school, a lot of latitude when it came to

choosing her college and courses.

As well as displaying responsibility, you may want to get

some part-time work, to sock away some dough to pay for

ammo, accessories, and some nice firearms, when you come of

age.

13. futureshooter

futureshooter New Member

Theres one key thing i forgot to mention. My parents are chinese, and so am i. Of course. And they want me to be smart and all that like normal asians but im not even close to that. Ive considered joining the army, but i know i cant go through what they do in camp. Sooo, i toke an interest in guns. Do you need a license for a .22?

I play airsoft ALOT, and i treat it as if it were a real firearm. But i guess ill just wait hmmmm :(. Ill just take my friends dad and beg him to let me shoot his ruger :)

14. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

A .22 is still a firearm so yes you definitely need to be legally allowed to own a firearm in order to own one.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Being a Veteran when you apply for a Weapons Permit is a

big plus. If you choose the armed forces, get a MOS with

a valuable job skill, like construction, electrical or, plumbing, so you can

transfer it to working trades when you get out ...

16. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

My son is 15 now and I have had him shooting since he was 10 years old. There is times when he wants to go shooting and I am not able or willing, he fully understands our family policy about him not touching any of the firearms I own with out me there to supervise him. I have taken him to several safety classes just to keep him aware of as much gun safety as he can intake.

What you may want to look into any firearm training class at the local gun shops, maybe your parents will be willing to go with you if they see that you are willing to learn firearm safety.

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

BB gun is expensive and almost cost the same as the real gun. Used to have a KSC Glock 18C with all modified parts i could buy from Hongkong.

If i were you, save some money and wait till the time comes. Respect whatever your parents say about guns for the time being. For now.. maybe play some MW3 or BF3?