Walther PPS 9mm

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rpritchard0001, Feb 21, 2012.

1. rpritchard0001

rpritchard0001 New Member

I purchased a new Walther PPS 9mm yesterday at buds for $504. I took it out shooting today and I was very impressed. I shot a little over 100rds through it just for function and accuracy testing. I even shot a few rounds at a 12" square metal target at 128yrds hitting it with about 75% of the shots. This little gun is very accurate. The only issue I had was that the gun failed to lock back on an empty magazine a few times, but there were no jams or other failures of any kind.

When I first got the gun, the trigger was a little gritty and rough, but after about 1000 pulls of dry fire practice and then the hundred rounds I shot today it has actually smoothed out nicely, becoming one of my favorite triggers.

The long and the short of it is that I really like this gun as an off duty carry piece and I fully intend to purchase the .40S&W version in the near future.

2. rpritchard0001

I hope this is helpful to someone.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've shot the PPS and was very impressed with the gun.

I did find it a tad small for my hands and think the PPQ would be a better fit for my taste.

As a BUG I thing it will serve you well. Nice snag rpritchard0001!

4. rpritchard0001

Thanks. Have you shot the PPQ? I've heard a lot of good things about them. Apparently everybody that shoots one of them falls in love with them.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Same results here,(in .40) though not at distance (never tried). In 3 or so years, not one hiccup, no slide lock issues and I trust my life to it.

6. rpritchard0001

You should try stretching it out sometime. I think you will be pleased. I know that there is no practical reason to shoot a 3" barrel gun at 100+ yards, but it is crazy fun!

7. vincent

vincent New Member

I know, I did that @ 100yds with my G30, learned a ton and was fun as hell. My PPS aka Dark Stanley is my spring/summer EDC so he's in hibernation right now...:D

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Only fondled one. It would need to shoot really well to replace my BHP.

I could see the PPS 9mm as an alternative to my current BUG, the Ruger LCR.

9. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I have shot both the PPQ and PPS in 9mm. The PPQ's trigger is better but, the PPS is very tough to beat for IWB carry. I'd like to pick up a PPS in 40.

10. Foozerman

Foozerman New Member

I have PPS .40, absolutely love, very accurate have not had one issue with anything i have put through it so far, 1000 plus rounds and counting. Great for ISW.

11. rpritchard0001

Is the recoil bad on the .40?

12. Foozerman

Foozerman New Member

I have a Walther P99QA .40 full size and a PPS .40 and there is really not much difference in the recoil, Nothing you would not expect from a handgun of its size.

13. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I love my EDC PPS 9mm. Eats everything and has been 100% for me. Carry it with 124gr +P Speer Gold Dots. It just disappears under my shirt. It's moving from it's EDC role for my new 1911, but I plan to still carry it when I want a lightweight, slim option.