Walther PPQ grip width??

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Brad_CCW, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Anyone have a Walther PPQ that can caliper the bottom of the grip? .40 if possible. I don't know why manufacturers don't make this information easier to find. To me it's one of the most important numbers in terms of concealment, along with height. I know the overall width is 1.3" but I think that's at the slide lever. Also on this one the middle of the grip seems a little wider than the base but I don't expect this to be much of an issue either. I think this is going to be my next carry gun when I have room for something a little bigger than my Kimber Compact.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

link to Walther's website with specs on the PPQ.

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppq-m2/

3. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

That was the first place I looked. Like I said, it only gives overall width. Usually I can find a review online that gives grip width but not for the PPQ.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the overall width is the usually the widest part of the pistol, and usually the grip is the widest portion of the pistol.

5. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Well I know on 1911 the safety is a lot wider, which is what Sig lists on their overall width. And my Beretta PX4 is the same way, except Beretta actually lists the grip width separately.

6. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

The grip on the PPQ is the widest part. I have one, but no calipers to measure it with. I bought a PPS for carry to complement the PPQ. LOVE the PPQ and how it feels and shoots, but it is a little large for me to carry with business clothes and IWB. The PPS is thinner, and carries very well. But the PPQ shoots like a dream and has a much larger capacity. Tradeoffs.

7. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Well I'm looking for capacity. I already have a couple small 1911 and a Sig 938 when I can't conceal the PPQ. Found one person on the web saying the base of the grip is around 1.2" with the slide release being 1.3". I believe the contours on the grip are slightly wider, which is fine. The end of the grip is the hardest part to conceal. My wife is supposed to get me one for Christmas so I'll put my my calipers all over it when I have it. :)

Yesterday I was reading about the Ruger SR40c also. 1.18" grip but the grip length was less. Sounds quite concealable except with only 9+1 capacity I'd probably rather carry my 1911.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  8. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Well, IMO you'll like the PPQ. I am no polymer gun fanatic, and I really enjoy my 1911 triggers, but the PPQ shoots really well compared to other polymer guns i have tried. And it feels great in the hand. Hope you like it.

9. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Thanks a lot. I'm really happy with my PX4 other than the safety being backwards. Damn you Beretta, lol.

10. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Got my PPQ yesterday for and anniversary present. I didn't get to shoot it yet but I did caliper the grips. They're 1.21" to 1.27" wide depending where you measure them. They are 1.21" wide at the back of the grip.

I noticed it prints a lot more than my 1911's. Of course it's thicker, but the real culprit is how far the slide comes back behind my thumb on my shooting hand. I guess this gives them a shorter OAL for a given barrel length, but it certainly makes it harder to conceal. I also noticed if I Mexican carry it, my hip fits in the curve below the slide and it hides MUCH better. Maybe once my holster breaks in it will hide better.

I expected when I bought I'd have to wear more than a t shirt to conceal it, so no surprises really, except trying to hide the back of the slide.

11. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Yeah, I don't plan on using mine for CC. If it doesn't work out for you as an everyday carry piece, but you like the way it shoots and feels, just do what I did. Get it a little brother or sister called PPS. Then concealing is not a problem.

12. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Which size do you have? I got the 4" which is a good carry size as long as I have at least a Polo shirt on. Just doesn't do too well with a t shirt. I have my Kimber compact and EMP when I need something a little smaller. The PPQ has the same grip angle as a 1911, so I feel like I can swap them out without issue.

The trigger feels nice. I think it's gonna shoot good.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have the 4" also. Love to shoot it, but with my typical work clothes it's tough to hide too much. I usually have a a tucked in golf shirt. I might actually get an ankle holster for the PPS just to make things easier.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I carry a pistol that is exactly one inch wide in my front pocket. The gun does print but no one has ever noticed it. A bandanna looks about the same in my pocket. At roadside stops police officers are looking all over me for my pistol. I have to tell the officer the gun is in my pocket. I don't see how 1.25" is going to make that big of a difference. That is why I carry a double stack pistol in my pocket. A single stack pistol is .75" wide. If the pistol is the same size I don't see how .25" more width is going to make a big difference, other than 5 more rounds.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  15. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. Now you just have to shoot that PPQ. Enjoy.

16. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I've never used an ankle holster but this seems like a bulky gun for that. A 3" 1911 should hide great under a golf shirt with a tuckable IWB holster. I find I can hide my Sig P938 under damn near anything, even some fitted shirts. An XDs or M&P Shield would work well also.

17. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

There's not many guns that will fit in your pocket, not that I'd want to carry anyway. Only one I've really found is my 938. I'd rather not carry a .380. I'll tell you though, 1" to 1.25" is a HUGE difference. I wouldn't have thought so either, but 1" I can wear with just about anything. 1.1" I can wear a loose t-shirt. 1.2" I need a polo shirt, jersey, or jacket to hide.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers but I haven't seen any guns .75" wide. 1911 are usually about 1.1" at the slide and 1.2-1.3" grip width. I find the grip with most significant. The slide width is only an issue with my PPQ since the slide comes back so far that it rides high in my belt.

To me printing means you can see the shape of the gun. Maybe I'm wrong. With a t-shirt on if I wear a 1.2" gun it looks like a gun. Less than 1.1" and you might see a bump but the shape of the gun doesn't really show.

18. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Got my ppq Monday and it came with the standard 11 round mag and the extended plus 2 mag. I though the navy model was the only one that came both mags but I'm not gonna complain. Even though when the extended mag is loaded to capacity it's rather hard to seat into the pistol. I have medium sized hands and the small blackstrap fits like a glove. I love the look and feel of this gun. I hope it performs really well when I get a chance to shoot it. I made up my mind already that if it performs well I will get the 9mm as well sometime this year.

19. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I noticed the mag with a bigger baseplate. I didn't even notice if it held more rounds. I really like the look and feel of the gun also. I'm glad I picked it over the XDm. The trigger seems really smooth also. I haven't changed the back strap yet. I have medium hands and the one it came with feels good.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3