Walther PPKS vs Bersa Thunder in 380

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BlindOldMan, May 16, 2011.

1. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

I stopped by the range/pawn today. They had a Walther PPKS and a Bersa Thunder in 380. The wife wants the Walther (she'd seen it in a movie). It's more expensive than the Bersa so I was surprised when they recommended the Bersa over the Walther. His words about the Walther: "Don't waste your money."

Any thoughts on the PPKS versus the Thunder?

380 is not much of a round, but she really only likes shooting a 22LR (Walther P22).

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

The Walther is a classic and I would very much like to have one.

However, people have complained about the quality of the new Walther PPK and PPK/S that are currently being made in the U.S. by Smith & Wesson. There was even a recall on them. IMO if they had kept it to the original specs, they wouldn't have had that problem.

I love the PPK for the classic that it is, but I believe the Bersa has surpassed the PPK as far as practicality and ease of use.

The Bersa's trigger pull in double action is fairly light and smooth, a nice trigger.

The Bersa has a slide stop (release) lever, the PPK does not.

Bersa uses a slightly different take down mechanism, a simple lever on the side of the gun, similar to a Sig. The PPK uses a hinged trigger guard that must be pulled down to disassemble the gun.

Again, as I said the PPK is a classic and I WILL add one to my collection one day for that reason, but as far as a practical carry gun, IMO the Bersa is an improvement over the PPK.

Is there any way you can rent both so she can shoot them?

3. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Thank you General :)

They don't have either for rent at the moment. I will have her shoot them both, but I suspect she's a little more interested in the "heritage" than the practicality. Nothing wrong with that, and I understand the sentiment..

4. group17

group17 New Member

Try getting her a Bersa/Firestorm 22. Looks like a PPK shoots like her 22. The Bersa version doesn't come with the rubber grips like the firestorm.

[​IMG]

You could almost get an all nickel 380 Bersa and a Bersa 22 for the cost of a new PPK. I bought the Firestorm 22 to practice cheaper than my Bersa 380 same manual of arms. I have had my Bersa 380 for years with no problems. Nice shooter.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  5. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

OK, just ordered one from Impact :D I couldn't find the Thunder in Stainless/.380 though (looked at Buds, Midwest, Impact).

Also ordered a CZ83 in .380.. We'll see which one she likes...

6. group17

group17 New Member

I would bet she picks the Bersa.
    They don't come in stainless but do in nickel finish.

Make sure you clean it and the mag before 1st firing to remove the shipping grease. Also remember which end of the recoil spring came out first. One end is smaller than the other.
    Here is the Bud's add for the all nickel Bersa 22 she will want next.
    BERSA T22NKL 22LR PSTL 10RD NK $266.00 SHIPS FREE

Let us know what she picks. The good news is you get the one she doesn't want.

7. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Doh.. actually it's this one:

Qty SKU Item Description Price Ext.
    1 091664950398 FireStorm 22LR Dual tone Pistol 10 Rd
    $279.99 $279.99

OK.. Going to look at that Bersa :D

8. group17

group17 New Member

Remember to feed your new 22 with cci 22 long ammo to break it in. They don't like the cheap bulk 22 but you probably know that from her P22.
    Good luck!

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

my bersa thunder 22 shoots everything i stuff in the mag.

but as said above the main diff is the bersa trigger is waaaaay better than the ppks.

the other big diff is the slide rides a scootch higher on the frame eliminating the bite you get from the walthers.

the mag sits higher in the frame than the walthers making the bullets have a shallower angle to the chamber greatly increasing reliability.

ive got a all steel manhurin made ppks in 22lr and my bersa thunder 22 is a more reliable firearm.

ive owned older walther ppks' in the past and wont buy another one. the bersas are hands down the better gun.

10. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

:) The Firestorm is out for delivery today. I should be able to pick it up tonight with luck.

11. Major Kusanagi

Major Kusanagi New Member

Please, make sure to let us know how you and your wife like it. :)

12. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

I've been having some feed issues with the Bersa 22LR, but it's improving on each trip to the range. I joined the Bersachat forum and others had reported similar issues. Remedies included switching ammo and also some magazine maintenance. Here's the thread:

Fail to Feed Problem - Magazine ?

I just got notified from Impact that the Bersa 380 Nickel shipped today :D...

The Firestorm is still "In process" status at Impact, but I understand now that the Bersa and Firestorm are otherwise identical except for some cosmetic changes.

13. group17

group17 New Member

Sorry to read about your feed issues. Using mini mags and yellow jackets I have not had a problem.
    Are you getting another 22?
    So Bersa 22, Bersa 380 and a Firestorm 22? If you are you can try each of the 22 mags in both the firestorm 22 and the Bersa 22 to see if its the mag causing the problem.

14. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Yes, the Firestorm 22 is actually available for pickup today, but I'm waiting a couple more days until the 380 arrives and save myself the background check fees..

I'll switch out the mags. I've been searching around for some extra mags, but they seem to be in short supply. I didn't want to do too much work on the one mag in case I destroy it :D Please note that it is getting better with each trip to the range. There are likely some burrs and sharp edges that are causing the misfeeds. Not sure about the ejector problem yet, but I suspect that it's ammo related.

15. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

[​IMG]

The 380 arrived today and I picked it up.. Going to do a cleaning in a few then take it to the range tomorrow.

16. group17

group17 New Member

Nice,
    Mags are a little easier to find then the 22.
    Do not buy pro mags for your Bersa.

17. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I got the Walther PPK/S S & W version and love it. It is very well made and had no issues with mine. Yes it was recalled but the Ruger LCP was also recalled. I feel it is a better then the Bersa. I have shot the Bersa and it was not as accurate and the sights not as good. The beaver tail on the ppk was extended by S & W making it less likely to leave railroad tracks on your hand. Mine feed all types of ammo. It is real tight when you first get it does need to be broken in. The Walther is a great shooter.

[​IMG]

18. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Beating a dead horse..

OK.. had a short day at the range today to fire the new Bersa Thunder 380 and test out CCI MiniMags in the Thunder 22LR.

I'd had multiple issues with the 22LR before. Lots of FTFs, FTEs.. was quite disappointing. Today was much different. I used CCI Mini-Mags throughout. Two hundred rounds, in fact. I loaded 5 rounds at a time and went through the two cases. First 60 rounds were perfect. The 61st round had a FTE. The 125th round also FTEd. Throughout, I noticed the slide wasn't locking on the last round in magazine. Thought through it some more and determined that my thumb was holding the slide release lever down. I don't think it had anything to do with the FTEs, but certainly could have caused the slide releasing on last round.

[​IMG]

The 22LR is really growing on me. It's definitely very sensitive to ammo, but feed her right and she will love you back...

OK.. Onto the 380...

I really like the size and weight of this gun. It's one of the only guns that I prefer to shoot bare-handed (I normally wear a set of weight gloves when shooting anything else). I pushed through 50 rounds of Federal 380. It almost feels like shooting a 22 except for the slightly louder popping sound :/.

On the 32nd round I had a misfeed:
    [​IMG]

I had to eject the magazine to clear it. The round looked fine so I re-loaded it and watch it take off happily to dance with the others. Grouping was good at 7 yards.. Alas, no evidence so you'll have to take my word :D.

All said, the wife is still asking for the Walther PPKS. She saw it in a movie and really wants the gun. No problem.. I'll keep these :)

19. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

I just put an order in for the PPKS. Looking forward to it...

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

that misfeed on the 380 is due to mag feed lips too far apart. give it a little squeeze with your hand not a tool and it will calm right down. happens on other pistol mags too. its not a bersa specific issue