Walther PPK

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by notdku, Nov 30, 2009.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Anyone have any complaints about the PPK?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have 2 of them in .380, a PPK (old short grip) and a PPK/S (neither is a S&W gun). The DA trigger pull is very heavy but they are solid, compact, and accurate guns. My PPK is a dedicated truck gun and goes everywhere with me, the other was given to my wife last Mother's Day and she is very happy with it...

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The only complaint I have ever heard was when a guy buys this gun for his woman as the perfect carry piece, but if she limp wrists it, it won't cycle.

I have seen it happen, but you have to really try to limp wrist it.

Otherwise they are rock solid weapons and a great choice for a small gun.

JD

4. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

The PPK and PPK/S are still being manufactured more than 78 years later.
    That says a lot in itself.
    I wonder if Walther's new PK line will force the PPK & PPK/S lines into being discontinued?

5. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Yep, use to carry one. Base metal will rust from sweat and largest caliber was .380. It was a nice gun, but you would be better off with a PPS in 9 mm with the new finish. Higher mag capicity and better balistics.

Jim

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I've got larger than average hands (OK, paws) and the slide will leave cuts on the web of my shooting hand.
    They are a bit heavy for the caliber.
    Stainless version is pretty fool proof.
    Retracting the slide can be difficult for some women who lack the hand strength needed.
    Heavy D/A trigger.
    Fixed barrel is dead nuts accurate.

7. druryj

druryj New Member

My PPK/S. Absolutely reliable for me and a beauty. Accurate as it can be too.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      98.6 KB
      Views:
  8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have two PPK/s, one in 380, one in .22. No problems with either.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I heard James Bond really likes them.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

used to have an interarms imported ppk/s very good weapon. i currently have a Manurhin walther ppk/s in .22lr. if i come across another Manurhin ppk/s in 380 in really good shape im gonna snag it.

i have a couple of bersa clones of the ppk/s i really like em.

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yeah, it's not 9mm and I don't have one! :D

12. JD57

JD57 New Member

I have a stainless PPK/S .380 with no problems to report.
    Has anyone sent theirs back for the recall?

13. FlyingDesertEagle

FlyingDesertEagle New Member

I had a Walther PPK many years ago, but the ammo for it was either unavailable or expensive. We'r talking about .380 acp of course. I traded it for a compact S&W 9mm and never looked back.

If my memory serves, that Walther was really accurate and easy to master. The S&W 469 took a little more practice (as it is very light for a 9mm imho) but it paid back in firepower and confidence (back then I carried 124 grain Winchester Silvertips).

14. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I have a PA-63,which is a PP clone made in Hungary and chambered in 9x18 makarov,which is a bit more powerful than .380 and has good penetration in standard ball format.
    The PA is no where near as refined as the 'real thing' tho.

The PP,or Police Pistol, has been copied all over Europe and in the Eastern Bloc especially-like the Polish P-64 'Radom',which is pretty much a Walther PPK.
    The Makarov proper -the actual Pistolet Makarov- or PM,was inspired by the Walther PP.So the 'family tree' of the basic design has successful off-springs and clones much like John Brownings timeless designs.

They do say mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery.

I've heard that some of the older Walthers have issues feeding hollowpoint ammo,but my only actual experience with this is my PA-63,its magazine doesnt like wide ogive hollow points.I feed it ball anyway,as I dont really trust JHP to have adequate penetration in these calibers.

Walther PP series pistols are fine guns and much to the contrary of those that believe that the newer composite framed pocket guns that can hold more rounds and/or chamber something 'bigger' are 'better',I believe they represent an elegant and time proven design that the 'new' stuff just doesn't hold a candle to.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010