Walther PPK/S .380 ACP

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JoshSelf, Dec 6, 2015.

1. JoshSelf

JoshSelf New Member

My grandfather has told me that he will be leaving me a few guns. He never shoots them, and I just cleaned them and made sure they would not have storage issues today. One of them happens to be a Walther PPK/S .380. He said he got it in Germany when he was overseas. He has never fired it and still has the original target from the factory and the box. Does anyone have an idea of the value?

2. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Maybe your Grand Father was confused on when and where he acquired the Walther PPK/S pistol. This gun was developed specially for the American market after 1968.
    The U.S. Gun Law of 1968 banned the import of existing Walther PP series pistols. Walther modified the PP to the PPk/S to meet the 1968 gun rules. The second WW ended in 1945? These guns sell for around $350 dollars on the used gun market.:)

3. JoshSelf

JoshSelf New Member

I'll have to look into it. It is quite a possibility that he doesn't remember when he got it since he owns a few firearms.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Gun values differ in different parts of the country. Here a Walther like that would sell sell for about $600. I have two of the German-made Walthers. They are a great gun and very accurate.

5. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

6. BuryTheHatchet

BuryTheHatchet New Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PP

The PPK has been made since 1931. It's possible he has the silver version of the PPK, and calls it the PPK/S.

Values vary, but they are about $525+ in my area. I would by every stainless PPK/S that I found priced at $300.

7. JoshSelf

JoshSelf New Member

Thanks for the info everyone

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

look on the slide if it says manhurin those were made in france by walther on the original walther machines by the original factory workers. walther moved his operation in total at the end of ww2 to france to avoid capture by the russians. the ones marked manhurin are the best of the best walthers ever produced.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

PPK/s is not "the silver version". It was a PP changed to allow importation under the Gun Control Act of 1968. There are several modifications made to meet the criteria established.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PP

10. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

And if I remember correctly it has a larger grip than the original PPK.

11. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The current PPK/S pistols are a product of S&W.

12. BuryTheHatchet

BuryTheHatchet New Member

If you carefully reread my post, you will see that I said nothing of the sort. :)

I am aware of what the PPK/s model is. Let me translate that post's intent for you...this person may have a PPK in the silver frosted finish, a factory plated nickel finish, or an aftermarket finish. These would still be PPK models and not PPK/s models. Some people could see a "shiny" PPK and call it the PPK/s.