Walther ppk: reload? And dented shells?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MLF, Oct 24, 2011.

1. MLF

MLF New Member

I just bought a Walther/Smith & Wesson ppk .380, and I see the manual says not to shoot reloads. Is this standard CYA for gun manufacturers, or is there a legitimate reason not to reload .380 brass for this particular pistol? Secondly, the brass I have put through so far has dents indicating the slide may be hitting the cartridges; is this indicative of some misalignment, or normal? Thanks for your time.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area we ask new people to stop in and tell us a little.

Reloads may be of questionable quality and have been known to ruin otherwise good firearms.

On the dents, when was the recoil spring last changed? Or have you been shooting reloads through it?

3. MLF

MLF New Member

Thank you; I will head over to the Introductions page. I currently reload my own .44 rounds and am confident in the quality. I would like to reload .380 for this gun as well. Do you recommend against reloads across the board?

I just purchased this used, and though everything looks great, I can't vouch for the recoil spring. Sounds like I need to call my dealer?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

The warning not to shoot reloads I'm pretty sure is just a basic CYA. I don't know of any maker who doesn't recommend not using them, but I don't know every maker's policies either.