Walther P22 & ammo

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Brennan16, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I recently acquired a Walther P22 and am curious if anyone else has one. Mine is quite finicky about the ammo that's fired through it. I'm not sure if it's because the ammo is old or what. Anyone else have this problem with their Walther P22?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

P22 has a reputation of being finicky. I just sent mine back to S&W to have them look at it. I tried polishing the feed ramp and chamfering the barrel, it helped a LOT, but still struggled, especially with the first round.

3. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Thanks for the input. I tried several variations of Federal with some sporadic troubles to detonate. CCI on the other hand shot FLAWLESSLY for 50 rounds.

4. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

My friend has one and only shoots cci minimags through it or stingers.

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

The Walther P22 is the pistol we used at the NRA Basic Pistol Course I took recently. I had a several jams during the live ammo exercises. After the instructors tried cycling, stripping, spraying it, etc, I was given another to shoot. That jammed occasionally too. Some of the other students had jams as well. I don’t know what kind/brand of ammo we were using. I didn’t think to ask. I’m sure it was something cheap even for .22LR.

I’ve been reading that a lot of the .22 autos are finicky. I suspect it may be because they just don’t have enough juice to operate a semiauto or that the quality control on the rounds are really poor.

CCI/HV is the brand most often mentioned as the one .22LR that works.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. ginfield

ginfield New Member

Mine will shoot the cheap federal brick of ammo all day but won't cycle right anything else.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

CCI stingers are not designed to work safely in the chamber of the Walther. Check the CCI website.

Almost every Walther .22lr (other than target) normally has something in the user's manual about using high velocity ammo.

8. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I don't see anything in the operating instructions about high velocity ammunition.

9. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Actually, I just found it. It states to ONLY use high velocity ammunition.

10. danf_fl

I would not intentionally lie to ya. :)

11. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Not saying that you would. I was just explaining that the user manual states to use high velocity ammo. I have to check CCI site yet though.

12. danf_fl

13. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Everyone I have run ito on the range and shooting myself has been picky. 40 grn Blazer and 40 grn CCI Mini Mags usually work. I was looking at them and said no way after trying a few. I will wait until the new Ruger is weaned.

15. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

No issues with CCI MiniMags. :)

[​IMG]

16. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I like the green frame.
    Have you seen the SIG Mosquito in the digital camouflage?

17. Foozerman

Foozerman New Member

No issues with CCI minimags

18. shooterfan1974

shooterfan1974 New Member

Allegedly the Ruger SR22 will eat anything. So, price being close, I'm planning on buying the Ruger, especially with the included smaller grips to teach my wife and daughter how to operate a semi auto pistol.

19. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I have owned a p22 for about 4 years now. Initially it was picky about the ammo. The bulk stuff didn't do so well. For the last two years it runs anything flawlessly. I don't even bring the hot stuff shooting anymore. I believe over time your pistol will do the same as mine. Keep trying the bulk ammo every range trip and see if your pistol doesn't improve. Just my experience. Good luck.

20. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I ran about 300 rounds of Mini Mags through my P22 before I shot anything else in it. After the Mini Mags, It would fire anything, including Federal bulk, Winchester bulk and American Eagle. I ended up trading it though. It just wasn't up to snuff in the accuracy department. Traded it on a Browning 1911 .22 A1.