Walther P-38 light (P-1)

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Chainfire, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Being a baby-boomer and watching a myriad of movie bad-guys wielding P-38s to carry out their dirty deeds, I have always wanted a P-38. I also have champagne tastes and a beer budget. A couple of weeks ago, SOG was running a sale on the P-1s, and fearing that I might miss out on the tidal wave of P-1s that have come into the country I tossed down the plastic.

If I had acted a couple of years ago, I would have made a better buy, but I am happy. I received a 1979 Bundeswehr pistol in excellent condition. It had a few bright spots from holster wear, but the moving parts and bore were in new condition. The feed-ramp looked as if it had never loaded a round. I was a bit disappointed that it did not have the cross-bolt, but I won't be shooting any hot rounds and am not worried about it.

I also searched the internet hard to find bargain prices on extra Walther branded magazines and snagged a handful, along with both Flecktarn and Patent leather holsters and the proper belts for both.

Father's day brought my son over and we gave the pistol a work-out. The gun functioned perfectly and was a pleasure to shoot. I understand that they do not have a reputation for accuracy, but at 25 feet we were making very small footprints on the targets, including many 'same hole' shots.

I really am quite pleased with this pistol and just had to share the love. :)

2. m72law

m72law New Member

Congrats on the new/old/shooter P-38

Happy Father's day & many more!

3. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Sounds like a great day!

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

All P1's have a cross bolt. It is the hex you see on the side of the frame.
    [​IMG]

You should not be firing "hot" ammo anyway. I have a few New P1 mags, PM me. I can tell you what to do to make the ones that jam function. It is a Walther, mag jams happen with every model.

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

A P1 was my first centerfire handgun and I love it still.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Not all P1s have the steel hex bolt reinforcement. Like Chainfire's, my P1 doesn't have that upgrade.

I have to say it's more fun than I expected and a good shooter.

7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Great guns and lots of fun. I got this one a couple years ago from SOG. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Without bolt.

Attached Files: