Walther p-22 any good

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by fivefourfiveX39, Jan 31, 2013.

1. fivefourfiveX39

fivefourfiveX39 New Member

I have heard mixed reviews of the p22 I would like some opinions on this pistol, thank you.

2. fivefourfiveX39

I have also heard about the slide being made of cadmium or aluminum?

3. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Ie heard excellent things about the Ruger SR22. Just another option and cheaper.

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I think aluminum. Cadmium is a toxic metal, and not suitable for machine parts, I think. From everything I've read, the P22 is OK if you run ONLY CCI thru it. Standard velocity, I think. I used to have one, and my buddy currently does. I LOVE the looks, feel & operation of this gun. Admittedly, I sold mine for lack of functioning, but I never gave it the chance, or was aware of the CCI ammo thing, ect.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was competing in a pistol shoot that was a fundraiser for the Jail Ministry. Because it was a fundraiser we allowed all calibers. Three ladies were on a team. Two of them were shooting the Walther P-22. They were both having constant jams. I dont know how well they maintained their weapons. But I will not buy one simply because I saw two perform horribly at one event.

6. fivefourfiveX39

Well I have finally shot mine and it is a later build L series and it works with every single ammo I have used even gold bullets :D

7. msup752

msup752 New Member

I bought one a few months ago and have put more than 500 rounds through it from Remmington, Winchester, and CCI. It has had no major issues with a jam every 100 rounds or more.
    If you need the threaded barrel, the P22 is a great choice. If you don't, the Ruger is a better choice. The Ruger is more expensive where I am but by about $20. That is still a better value as the Ruger includes a second magazine.

8. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

I've had a P-22 for 5 or 6 years. I've never had a problem with it when using CCI ammo or hyper velocity ammo. It will not cycle on bulk ammo.

9. fivefourfiveX39

AR tactical and auto match are the best for mine idk I just got a really good one it actually stovepiped on STINGERS and with every other rounds it runs like butter.

10. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Id suggest going with a ruger sr22 ive had friends who have had major issues with their walthers not functioning properly

11. fivefourfiveX39

Funny you say that cause I just bought one

12. fivefourfiveX39

Plus the slide is aluminum and not that zamak metal.

13. lucznik

lucznik New Member

My dad has a P22. He carries it everywhere and has had no issues with any type of ammo. He shoots his a lot.

I have an SR22 and have also had no issues, though I haven't shot mine near as much.

From an operator's standpoint the two are basically identical.