Walther EDC

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Benning Boy, Jul 19, 2010.

Which Walther for EDC

Poll closed Jul 24, 2010.
  1. PPK

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. PK380

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. PPS

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. P99

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XD Sub Compact

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Since the Bond Era began, I wanted a Walther.

I acquired a P22, and rapidly became disillusioned with the brand. Inaccurate, expensive, and a monster to reassemble.

I offer these choices, for EDC, please give reasons for your selection, and if I'm wrong on any of this, tell me.

PPK- Seems like a natural, but pricey, and subject of a recall a couple years ago. So did the ones in the shops also make it to the recall?

PPS- I've heard nothing about this, beyond slim and sexy. I need a little more than that.

PK380- Price is right, I can respect the caliber given ammo advancements, but I understand it is essentially a big P22.

P99- I see alot of mixed reviews on this one, and it's pricey, but seems like a natural.

XD Sub Compact- I have complete faith in this platform, should I relinquish my Walther fascination and go here instead?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I own (or have owned) most on your list. I currently have 2 PPKs, both pre-S&W vintage. One is a short grip PPK and the other is a long grip PPK/S. The PPK/S came about to meet import requirements and what they did was put a PPK slide on a PP frame. These are extremely reliable and great shooting guns. The only drawback is the really heavy DA pull for the first shot.

Wife has a PK380 and she really likes it. It is a "grown-up" P22 - but it is made of steel. Haven't had it long enough to know whether it will pass the test of time.

I've had a couple of P99s (as well as a couple of S&W99s). Very nice poly guns with a unique decocker and adjustable sights. One of my favorite poly hi-cap pistols.

PPS, never owned one but never heard anything really bad about them.

Hope this has been helpful. Oh yeah, I voted PPK...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Being a big Bond fan myself, I voted PPK.

Although the XD is really nice.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is the one you need BB...

[​IMG]

Or this one...

[​IMG]

5. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

I picked XD I win.

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I am a fan of the PPK/S and the XD sub, but since you really want a Walther then get the PPK/S. The DA pull is a beast (at least on mine) but one that I have become accustomed to with practice the SA is crisp though. Once you can adjust from the DA first shot to the SA subsequent shots, your golden.

7. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

NGIB, them is some PFG's.....

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I voted for the PPK. Although I'm not a fan of the .380 round I think it's a nice carry gun. The P99 would be my next carry choice.

I like xd's too, but they are just too wide and bulky to conceal well. :)

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Having owned an XDSC and knowing how bulking they are I had to go with a PPK. I still love my XD but it's tough to hide.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned a couple of XDSC's as well and though I'm a fan of the XD platform, they are a bit "chunky". The PPKs are elegant little guns and great shooters to boot. I still carry the old blue beater occasionally as it sits on the coffee table in an IWB ready to go generally. I had the PPK/S listed locally for a while but it appears nobody has cash anymore...

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Since the PPK seems to be ahead in voting, does anybody know anything about the recall? I know it was a couple of years ago, how would I be able to tell if the one sitting at the local shop was subject, and if it was, was it sent in?

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I think the recall was only for S&W "branded" PPKs. As far as I know, the older Interarms guns (as both of mine are) were not affected...

13. Hollander

Hollander New Member

I carry the PPS in the sweathshirt/sweater months here in Georgia. I have the .40 but wish I had gotten the 9mm. The .40 is a bit too snappy for my old hands and wrists. Love the gun. No problems after a breakin period. I carry owb and it just hides itself with a high ride holster. Someday I hope to get the 9mm. I would have no hesitation with the PPS. It hides well in cargo shorts as well.

14. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

Here's my choice

[​IMG]

I owned it a long time and it's a freat shooter.

:cool:

15. druryj

druryj New Member

I love my Interarms PPK/S and it is 100% reliable for me. I like 95 GR FMJ in it...it is scary accurate and mine has a heavy, yet smooth DA and an awesome SA trigger.