Walnut Varieties

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by Model70, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Model70

Model70 Member

Can anyone really explain the differences between English, and French, Claro, Turkish, Bastanlongne (ya I butchered that one) walnuts?

I've heard American and Claro are darker and English and French are the same thing-- google is no help.

I just want something that is light colored with long dark lines. No fancy figure, just a basic classy look. I'm thinking this may be of an English walnut look? I think? Kinda maybe? Anyone know? Texaswoodworker, you out there? Any thoughts? Anyone?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think it has to do with being different species of walnut. there for they have different grain and coloring. another aspect as to cost might be where it is imported from. walnut is the one of the more common woods used to make gunstocks and even the cheaper versions still look good when finished.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Here ya go.

http://www.thinwood.com/home/species-walnut

Have an old time gunsmith/riflemaker at my range. He has a small grove of black walnut trees growing on his property. Yep- he is raising rifle stocks. That is taking the long range view of things!

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The difference is usually the color, grain pattern, density, ect.

Here is what they generally look like.

English Walnut

[​IMG]

French Walnut

[​IMG]

Claro Walnut

[​IMG]

Turkish Walnut

[​IMG]

Bastogne walnut

[​IMG]

Hope that helps. Remember, those are just some examples I found. Wood can vary greatly, even within the same tree.

5. Model70

Model70 Member

Very cool. Exactly what I was looking for. I like the fancy Turkish stuff, but it looks like the French is what I've been looking for. Thanks guys.

6. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

You forgot Black Walnut.

7. texaswoodworker

Technically, Claro Walnut is Black Walnut. Generally, Black walnut that grows in Northern California is called Claro Walnut. I don't know why though.

This is (highly figured) American Black Walnut

[​IMG]

8. texaswoodworker

Just remember that wood can vary greatly. I would ask to see a picture of the stock before you buy it.

Here is some more French Walnut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Model70

Model70 Member

Ha! That's awesome. The Kimber Caprivi was the one I've been trying to match.

10. texaswoodworker

It looks pretty nice. Will it be going on a M70? :D

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

some of that light colored French walnut would look good on a Model 70! with a very light stain, just enough to bring out the pattern of the grain.

12. Model70

Model70 Member

That's the idea. I'm hoping to start putting a custom rifle together soon, just trying to figure out all the components.

I'd like to build a .416 Ruger on a model 70 action or 98 Mauser, color case hardened. Rust blued 24 inch shilen barrel, French walnut stock. Just to be ready for that day I get rich and famous and can afford to go to Africa. ;)

Basically I want it to look like this, only in my price range.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/caprivi-special-edition

13. texaswoodworker

I'd like to see that when it's finished. Be sure to post some pics. :D

14. Model70

Model70 Member

I'll put it all on here. Might be a few years to see it through :(

15. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

It figures Kalifornia would change the name of an American classic to a preppy name.