Walmart trip tonight

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mymaro, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mymaro

mymaro New Member

Just left the local Walmart come about every three days to check ammo stock. The buying craze hadn't hit here as of Tuesday but defiantly in full force now since last visit they sold about 2000 .45, 500 .223 1500 9mm and about 500 .40 plus misc rounds. That didnt bother me what caught my attention was the guy at the counter talking with his higher ups. The corporate guys were talking about the guns and wanting to sell them and the large quantities they had in back. The counter guy said with an adiment voice "you cant sell it if they cant see it, you would need eight of these" pointing at display case. Customer walked buy and they hushed up. Corparate figure started talking about adding more display cases and conversation wrapped up. What i gathered from this is.
    A. Walmart is taking advantage of this and displaying more guns to get in on buying craze.
    B. Gubment told them to sell out of what they have by certain date or turn them in.
    C. Flooding market with firearms to legal civilians in hopes of stopping any other massacre<=====what my heart is set on

But my guess is a

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

My Walmart I went to today. They had the sig AR15 in .22 caliber. A bunch of rifles and shotguns.
    Ammo was picked through but there was .223 and 7.62x39 left, along with a lot of pistol ammo.

Seemed like business as usual here. (Maine).

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have never seen any thing like this. I was in Ogden Ut. yesterday and made the rounds of the LGS. The parking lots were full and stores were packed. The buying of everything firearms related was very fast.:)

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd lean more towards a combo of a and b.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We are talking about the busiest weeks at walmart. You have hunting season, gift giving and a lot of people just getting out to shoot. Business journals say more people waited to the last minute to Christmas shop. I wouldn't put to much weight on volume at walmart right now.

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

My local Walmart's, either ones that have ammo only (not an FFL) and the one that are FFL. Ammo is slim and when I say slim, I am indicating the shelves are getting bare.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm going to the SG section of the local WallyWorld tomorrow,

simply out of amused curiosity.

Updates, the day after "the end of the world", in the PM...:cool:

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I stopped at walmart last night, they were totally out of:
    22lr bulk packs
    9mm
    7.62x39
    and just about everything else but 30-30 and other hunting ammo.

It's insane here... (Ky)

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Exact words of a Walmart store manager

"Guns are an annoyance to Walmart. The increased scrutiny by the ATF, and the fact that they sell so close to cost makes it a cumbrance. Oh, and the fact that we employ retards doesn't help"

Given the political and popular negative attitude, they might be selling, and not replacing.

10. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I'm sure he said "the fact we employ retards doesn't help". Give me a break.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Apparently you've never had contact with these people. Most know nothing about guns, yet they are selling them.

12. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I doubt it was said to any customer or the press.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Who said he was talking to a customer or the press? They could have been talking to another manager, or a friend/family member.

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

So, you want to question what im saying, maybe try to start another unneeded debate that brings the mods in to clean up your mess?

His exact words, period. Friends are very candid.

15. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I could see guns being an annoyance to a store like Walmart.

16. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Ahh. Makes more since if it was your friend.

Maybe clarify next time. You never said a friend that is a manager at Walmart said.

Big difference.

I never start unneeded debates. Lol

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  17. mymaro

mymaro New Member

I tell my employees i get a hell of a tax credit for hiring the handicapped all the time (jokingly)

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There isn't much of a popular negative opinion in this area. Most people here are flat out tired of hearing or talking about gun control or Sandy Hook. If you want to clear a room say the words Sandy Hook elementary. You will be standing there alone in less than a minute. Usually everyone is glued to the tube when the news is on. Now the TV is turned to another channel with no news.

19. IronmanE

IronmanE New Member

Acadamy sports opens at 8:00 am and I was there around 8:15 finishing some Christmas shopping. I read this thread this morning so I thought I would walk by the gun counter and see for myself. They were boxing up 1 AR and had two people in line behind him that each said they were purchasing one as well. As far as the ammo goes, there were about 10 people on the ammo aisle so I didn't even bother to see what was left!

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about getting my 14 year old son a single shot break action shotgun for hunting. I was in a pawn shop yesterday afternoon. I saw a really nice H&R 20 gauge. He wanted $95. I thought it was a little high. But hey what else are you going to buy for $95? I asked for a better price. He said he would pay the tax. I'll take it. He said there was a problem if it was for Christmas. I asked, "What problem?" "Background check," he replied. No Problem I can wait untill tomorrow. He told me that on a normal day it was a 30 minute wait because there were 40 to 50 people ahead of you in line waiting. He checked the insta check website. 8600 people were ahead of me! I bought my son a new Daisy 800 fps air rifle. We had an awesome time on a camping trip this summer when we realized he had serioulsy outgrown his old one.