Walmart guns

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by drboompa, Oct 16, 2012.

1. drboompa

drboompa New Member

I am told that all guns sold by Walmart are seconds. Can this be proved or disproved? some of their prices are reasonable.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

There's a lot of rumor and conjecture. Some people claim Walmart guns are actually built from substandard materials specifically so Walmart can sell them cheaper, even going so far as to claim that the metallurgical properties of the small parts are different and inferior to what you would find in a local gun shop.

I call bull ****. I believe the Walmart guns come from the same factory, the same production line, of the exact same parts, exact same specs and materials, and built by the exact same hands and machines as all the rest.

The only thing I am willing to accept as proof otherwise is a letter from at least one manufacturer, and I'll only believe it as regarding that specific maker.

People claim tests done in their garage and/or workshop, place of business, whatever. Sorry, still waving the bull**** flag.

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Out of curiosity how much cheaper are firearms at Walmart? I live in NJ, they don't sell ammo here in Walmart let alone firearms.

4. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Manufacturers build their product to a specific standard. It is not cost affective to change standards in the process.
    The same gun you get at Walmart is the same gun that you get at Joe Blow's gun shop. They sell a little less because they can buy 2000 at a time and Joe Blow buys a few at a time at best.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's just one of the arguments I kept bringing up, and got flamed for it several times. Yet still, no one has offered real proof, only claims to have tested parts.

6. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Buy a few and test them. There will be no difference. I have four 10/22's. two from Walmart, two from local shops. Zero difference.

7. cj84

cj84 New Member

I have never had a problem with any iv bought there

8. drboompa

drboompa New Member

I too, personally think that they have to be the same standard to bear the manufactor's brand and name. However, I hear the same arguments with Walmart tires. I have used some of their tires with no issues and bought tires from SAMS on several occasions. Now have to decide about their guns.

thanks guys

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

They are getting manufacturer direct/volume pricing which is why they can be lower.

10. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

They are dang wal-mart they are the 2900# gorilla in the room when it comes to setting prices. If you want to do business with them they tell you what they are going to buy your product for and what they are going to sell it for. If you don't like it they go to someone who does.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Have an issue with that right there. No moolah amigo.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

WalMart can sell for less because they buy in volume. they simply get a better break from buying in volume and can sell less than their competitors and still make a profit, even if at the point their profit margin is much less than everyone elses, they still make money.

another way WalMart makes money, or they use to, especially on higher priced items, is that they don't actually own that item, but use a sort of consignment type sale system. meaning they order "X" amount of an item for "X" amount of stores and stock it, then pay the vendor when they sell that item. if an item isn't moved fast enough in one location, then they will move them to another location that is selling that item faster. this is the reason that one store will carry something that their other stores don't.

13. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

they arent secends just dont have all the bells and whisels aka base models for exampial the savage md 64 at wallmart is the basic plastic stock unit where you will usialy only find the real wood stock units at a gun store nouthing wrond with the saftey or quality same for ammo their arent enouf secondes to fill one stores shelfs

14. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Look at any business that you buy from. For instance, Tripp research when you buy 1911 magazines the more you buy the less each magazine cost. Businesses get the same deals on items bought in bulk. Bulk is the key here. Your LGS aren't buying 1,000s of AR15s to sell.

15. Axxe55

just as many of the chain stores do. WalMart might buy 10,000 of something and send 10 of them to 2000 different stores, vs. the LGS who buys a couple of hundred of the same item in a year. of course WalMart will get a better discount for 10,000 units vs. an LGS buying 200.

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The guns at WalMart are the same guns you buy at the LGS. The LGS is more flexible than Walmart and that is the advantage they need to push. I bought a 28 gauge Mossberg double barrel for my niece. Walmart would only order a Siver series with a 20 and a 28 gauge barrel. The LGS was able to get a 28 gauge for just a few more dollars than Walmart charges for a 12 gauge.

A lot of LGS's are stocking the same guns as WalMart and that creates a perception that all their guns are over priced. Some LGS's have good prices but they are poor promoters or they are just flat out snobs. When I was searching for the silver series for my niece I had salesmen at the LGS just run me out of the shop with their attitude or by bashing the silver series. They are uninformed and tried to switch me to another brand because they thought they had to compete with WalMart.

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I can't say that this is the case here, but retail giants will actually take a loss or make no profit on a product if its deemed an item that will bring people back or into a store.
    Sell an AR at no profit, while ARs are hot, well John Q Public buys some accessories, some ammunition, some movies and does his food shopping while he's at the store.
    Best Buy does this on electronics, cellular companies do this on phones. (How else do you think you got a $700 phone for $99?)
    I could see this being the case with firearms...

18. Axxe55

Mosin, true to a point. another thing is they purchase at such a lower price, and even if they undercut everyone else they still make a small profit.

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You get the same damn gun from Wal-Mart as you get from Bass Pro no if ands or buts..................

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Where are the nay sayers? The last time this was brought up, it started a pretty nice flame war, with someone actually claiming to have done compositions and density tests on several models of Walmart guns, and declaring them inferior to the other guns.

Don't see them chiming in this time.