Walmart Ammo prices?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by mdemotte, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Has anyone else had a steep price increase at their local wally? The Federal 9mm I bought 2 weeks ago now stands at $12.97/per 50. This up from $9.97!! The bulk UMC pack went from $59.97/250 to 69.00! Online is now cheaper for me!! My UPS drivers gonna be pissed... Those cases get heavy!

2. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

at the walmart priices you posted, buying by the 50rd box is cheaper than bulk.

cant see where online purchase would be cheaper adding s/h costs

3. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

My walmarts prices depend on how much they have in stock

4. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

It actually has.. Luckygunner.com has American Eagle $219 for 20 boxes.. $10.95 per 50 even with shipping it comes to about $25 cheaper. This also includes the fact that I have to pay the 7% tax at wally .. I pay no tax at lucky

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Not yet. Soon they will tax every online purchase but that's another thread. The sad part is as a FFL it is cheaper for me to buy in bulk as a consumer then put a little markup on it than it is to go through some distributors. :mad:

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Have'nt noticed a increase here but it's been a couple months since i've bought any-
    Now i gotta go see :)

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Is the ammo you get online really cheaper? Online ammo purchases usually come with shipping charges which adds to the cost. The real price-per-round of the ammo is what it costs you to get it in your hands.

8. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

I am the Sporting Goods department manager at my local Walmart. And about 2 weeks ago we had major price increases on a lot of my ammo. Mostly on rifle cartridges, but a few of the popular handgun cartridges had a rather steep increase. I think a lot is due to hunting coming into season(I live in Texas)

9. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

I just bought 200 rds of blazer brass 9mm 115gr from PalmettoStateArmory.com for $42! No tax! They have free shipping till the end of July!! Awesome price.

Have a look!!

10. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ive noticed one walmarts prices will go up and down, others stay the same. Just gotta pay attention

11. kycol

kycol New Member

2 weeks ago our Walmart did not have a single 9mm last week they got in federal 100 round boxes for $20 50 round boxes federal for $12.50. They usually have Tula for $8.50

12. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

Seems Like Walmarts a hot mess with their pricing strategy. I imagine the ammo gets scarce soon.. The elections will generate a run on ammo... Maybe thats the reason for the drastic hikes

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Hope it won't be like last time :(

14. Tweaked

Tweaked New Member

I have never bought ammo at Walmart. It's too expensive. I can go a few mile away to "Cheaper Than Dirt" and pick up a box of Brown Bear 9 mm or Tula 9 mm for $9.29/50 round box.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME, price isn't the problem with

Wal-Mart ammo.

1.-Availability--major problem, they don't stock much and run out fast.

2.-Getting served--they have another major problem getting their

shirt together and unlocking the ammo case. I've seen entire shifts,

sometimes two or more, when they just would not get ammo out for you.

3.-Selection--fairly limited, also, see "Availability".

4.-Ignorant salespeople--one does have to wonder what middle and

upper management would think, if they could see the massive negative

effect their own employees have on sporting goods sales...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Therewolf, you hit the nail right on the head

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

My biggest beech is #1
    Why don't they figure out they need to stock more of what they run out of fastest :confused:

19. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Like I said I am an employee of Walmart and the only way I can ever get a descent amount of ammo is my contacting the ammo company and ordering directly

20. kycol

kycol New Member

That's higher than my Walmart