Walkie-Talkie - Thoughts and Type

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Triumphman, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

Should a walkie-talkie now be considered a personal protection while things are the way they are when out and about?

I understand a talkie's limit of distance and surrounds, but during a panic situation of crowds, I feel they'd be a live saver and better control of situation when separated.

What are your thoughts on type or why you wouldn't think a walkie-talkie wouldn't be valuable to have close by if you were to help with being a patriot?

MURS
    GMRS/FRS
    FRS only 22-channel type with CTCSS/DCS

Each has their uses according to surroundings and I'm sure these large gangs of looters/plunder-ers uses them, so they do have their usefulness over the cell phone in my opinion.

On the farm or out hunting near the house, I've found a talkie to be much more benefitual over a cell phone due to cell tower location and speed of contact, but on the farm I have control of, whereas in the city one is at mercy of surrounds, which can change very quickly.

schnuffleupagus and echo1 like this.
  2. echo1

echo1 Active Member

You know, in the back of my head I consider myself "aware" but don't deep prep because of my rural hamlet community. But as of late, I seriously have been giving thought to communication and night vision. In broad daylight, where you can see your crew and yell at the them or use hand signals, we can repel all boarders. But in a moonless power failure where quiet is necessary, not so much, especially if the bad guys are equipped. If nothing else, organized bad guys are tech savvy. I do have 4 head sets left over from my video production days, a CB base station and 1 infrared scope though. Enough for 1 patrol unit. PAX

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Ham radio is superior. 2 Meter and 70 CM mobile units can often get 25 miles. Both HDX and FDX. And a "repeater" at your HQ can make that range unlimited.

And Ham tickets are not that hard to get with a little study.

G66enigma and oO_Rogue_Oo like this.
  4. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

How big are the mobile units?

5. locutus

Various sizes. From small hand held 5W units that will ride in your shirt pocket, to "CB" size 25W vehicle/ base station units .

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have bought hand-held radios, that advertise up to seven miles range, that wouldn't receive any greater distance than I could shout.

7. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

You're right. All radios it seems just aren't up to the task of what's advertised. I wanted some good cheap radios for around the farm and hunting where shouting isn't practical and settled, with lots of studying on the web of what's out there, on some Radioddity's FS1 models in the FRS range to not worry of getting a license and if SHTF does happen, a license won't matter anyway.

Around the farm I can reach a good 1/2 mile with rolling hills and around some trees where home is out of sight, to reach (inside) the home to the wife, which I think are pretty good.

For the next radio(s), I think I'll get some Baofeng 5R's or better(water-proof) to use, as they reach out much better with some of the aux antenna available and higher battery capabilities and their upgrades seem unlimited. Almost like the Ruger 10/22 or AR15 of getting what you want/like with just some simple changing of parts.

8. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

#1) not walkie talkie, please. HT, for handheld transceiver. walkie talkie is some silly **** left over from WWII.

#2) thank you for not capitalizing HAM.

#3) it is no longer noteworthy when another 7 year old passes the 35 question test to get their amateur license. not getting a license is pathetic.

#4) over at Survivavalistboards they go all Karen if you post #1) and #2). they also get snitty if you post #3) because that puts your name and address in a government database. do not pay any attention to advise given in the Communications forum at Survivavalistboards. that would be like learning ethics from Hunter Biden.

locutus likes this.
  9. locutus

You're correct. An amateur license is so easy to get it's absurd not to have one if you feel the need for mobile communication.
    And remember that amateur gear does not even require a license to buy or own. So you can buy one and squirrel it away for "just on case."

Rifling82 and Triumphman like this.
  10. Trunk Monkey

The problem that I see with all of this is that none of it is Secure Communications. So any walkie talkie that you use anyone around you is going to be able to monitor your communications.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    locutus likes this.
  11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Well, we are a bunch of country folks. Barbed wire fences (on wooden posts) run from way up there to way down there. Clip a sound powered phone like the old military TA-1 or TA-312 to the top and center wires, and you have a party line that will run about 10 miles. And it is a lot harder to monitor than most radio.

locutus and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Trunk Monkey

But you're limited to the area of the fence.

The reality is they're just really aren't any good secure coms available for civilians and it occurs to me that WASN'T an accident

13. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Actually no, not always.

I've rented radios to use for security gigs from time to time. You can have them set to a couple of frequencies ie channels that are specific to that set of radios. Even encrypted transmission between that set though I never went that far for our purposes.
    You can buy those radios from the same companies as well set up the same way.
    Range about 4 miles depending on weather and terrain.
    With headsets they are gold for security use, for what is being discussed here I suppose they could be helpful.

G66enigma and Trunk Monkey like this.
  14. Trunk Monkey

So you can all take this for what it's worth but since I participated in this particular discussion every time I log into Facebook I have advertisements for handheld transmitters, two-way radios, base stations and CB radios.

It's almost like somebody was paying attention

15. locutus

Yeah, strange isn't it????

I get the same thing. Since I have Ad-blocker, they just spam my E-mail.

16. Trunk Monkey

I had a security gig at an investment firm that I had never heard of prior to being assigned there.

I never once on ANY social media ever referred to the place by its proper name I always referred it as Nakatomi Plaza.

Within one week of my starting there I was seen commercials for it on my television and on my Facebook.

17. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I think it’s a trivial idea. The next emergency will likely be not what you picture in your mind. But if you’re serious let me ask you this. Do you always wear shoes you can run in?

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A loooong time ago I had a CB base station in the house, car mobiles and a couple of 5 watt hand held units we used when hunting. They had a high/low power switch. Some of the drivers were using hand held CBs on our Jeep runs but most of the Jeeps were equipped with mounted units. The little pocket size toys were not worth while. Electronics have gotten better but power limits are still there. Those small hand held radios are cheap and you get what you pay for. They work in Kansas where you can see each other 5 miles away. The units the government uses are costly and restricted but they work. If the SHTF you can get away with a lot more and as far as gov data bases you are on so many now it does not matter anymore. I cant see where a ham license would be a red flag. If you feel it is critical get the ham license.

19. Trunk Monkey

If I'm wearing shoes at all they are something I can run in. I own two pairs of shoes that aren't suitable for mountain hiking.

20. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Before the smart phone, Nextell had the two way cell / radios.
    They were hard to beat for construction and work situations.
    I had a very rugged pair which was perfect for personal and work.
    Someone needs to bring that technology back with 4G and 5G.
    Push to talk over text or calling is just faster and smarter.