Walgreens = anti CCW, tell them to change!

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Jesse17, May 25, 2011.

1. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Walgreens fires CCW pharmacist for stopping robbery...

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2011/05/18/local_news/4820927.txt

Please contact Walgreens and tell them you won't support them until they lose their anti-firearm attitude. Here's the link to their Corp. Customer Service...

http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/contactus/forms.jsp?h1=Customer

This is what I told them...

Your company's firing of Jeremy Hoven from the Napier Avenue store in Benton Harbor, MI. is unforgivable. The man is a hero, and you should be THANKING HIM for saving you several wrongful death suits because you were to cheap to correct the security issues in that store, or provide adequate protection for your employees.

There is NO evidence that disarming your employees promotes safety of any employees, in fact MANY American workers owe their lives to a fellow employee who legally carried a firearm and used it to stop a violent situation.

I for one, will not spend another dollar in ANY Walgreens until you adopt a pro-Concealed Carry Weapon policy.

2. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Well spoken. I wouldn't however respond as professionally as I have such a burning hatred for hoplophobes.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Good luck with that, they will toss your message right in the garbage can. I for one just choose not to shop there anyhow. But sooner or later they are going to get a lock on the pharmacuetical market and we will have no choice. :eek: And don't buy into that BS that they will be offering bottom dollar prices. As soon as they lcok it up the prices are going to skyrocket just like gas prices :rolleyes:

4. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Maybe they will toss it in the trash, but they will never know anyone cares one way or the other if none of us say anything.

It's not the same thing, but I have seen where at least one Circle K reginal manager changed his policy and started allowing CCW in his stores because of an email and phone call campaign from members of gun forums.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That's excellant Jesse. The greatest thing to come out of this is yet to come, when this pharmacist gets another job, based entirely on the media and his selfless action to protect the store. ;)

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Time to boycott Walgreens!

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I guess I won't be shopping at Walgreens.

8. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

We just switched our business elsewhere.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

They, like many other US corporations, are overly concerned with liability. I cannot blame them for their concern with the nature of our civil court system and the bottom feeding attorneys that predate on such companies. It is their right to fire the man for violating a company policy. It is also our right to take our business elsewhere. I find their prices to be higher than my local supermarket for OTC meds anyway. They are slightly more convenient, but I will drive the extra mile to avoid them.

10. Why does the word concealed have to tag along with the word carry all the time? Why do people always mention carrying a gun as carrying a concealed weapon? Concealed has a meaning. Why limit the language to concealed when its perfectly legal to open carry in many states?

11. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Being that it's up to the business owner if they are going to allow employees to carry at all, it seems to me that it would be much easier to convince a business to allow concealed carry which implies some sort of permit, possibly training, and out of sight so it's not scaring anti-gun customers away, than convincing them to allow open carry.

I know what you're saying...any restriction = bad, and I agree with you, but you have to pick your battles and words carefully. A business owner who MIGHT possibly consider allowing concealed carry would almost surely not even consider open carry.

And that's why I chose the wording I did.

12. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Once again a guy who has the UNcommon decency to stick his neck out to save someone else's neck pays a penalty for it. Ongoing evidence that "No good deed has ever gone unpunished".

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Great Job Jesse,

These campaigns can and do work. Last year Starbucks Coffee "briefly" adopted a "no weapons" policy however, quick opposition from CCW folks across the country caused them to reverse course before most stores received there window decals.

Starbucks decided that sending a percentage of there customers elsewhere was not worth sucking up to a group of smarmy mouthed anti gunners in Seattle.

TACK

14. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

It isn't so much about open carry so much as it is about allowing employees to carry at all. If an employee is going to make a decision to violate company policy and carry a firearm, do you really think they'd carry it openly? That's just ridiculous.

Even if the store were to change its policy about employees carrying guns at work, you can be assured that they wouldn't allow open carry. We're not talking about a gun shop or pawn shop, but a pharmacy. I've seen employees at gun shops carrying openly and some at a few pawn shops, but never anywhere else. Whether it's legal or not is irrelevant, it isn't practical.

The whole point of concealed carry is the element of surprise, if would be robbers know the store policy allows employees to carry and can see whose carrying you can bet they'd be shot right of the bat, just as openly armed security guards or off duty LEOs working security at banks.

The only time I carry openly is in uniform or when I'm driving a patrol car in or out of uniform, i.e. going to a school, training, etc. Open carry is legal in my state, except on private property or in a vehicle. Concealed carry with a permit is okay on private property unless it is posted "No firearms Allowed" and there aren't many places that are posted, but I can guarantee you that if 1/10 people carried openly that more and more businesses would post their property banning firearms.

Let's just face the fact that firearms make some people nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. If they can't see the firearms, they don't get nervous.

15. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

^^^ Exactly^^^

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Concerning Walgreens,

They did respond per my previous post. With the same old response of it's our corporate policy. And the pharmacist was in violation. They also advised their corporate and law enforcement had advised to do it as they have it set in place. I advised I would agree to a point. But with the proper training program there should be no reason that some designated trained employees could carry for protection of everyone present. They were polite in their response and prompt. I advised them maybe they should review their policy have a training program for example pharmacists, managers and designated employees could carry. This would have the ability to stop an all out shooting rampage by some unstable person shooting in the store. And I advised " God forbid that would ever happen." I also advise them as per recent events the criminal was not always like the criminals of the past who committed a robbery and left once they got what they wanted. And as has been occurring of late. Recently store owners and people have been beaten sometimes to death in simple robberies. And in the future they could possibly be dealing with an individual who is strung out and very violent. And since they dispense drugs that would not be to far fetched regarding a possible incident. In addition most of these people have little if any respect for life! If they even know what is going on! In fact some even getting a high off of the incident. Anyway I am sure it fell on deaf ears.:(
    If you will also notice most all of their stores have removed any and all Gun Magazines!!!

17. So I cant exercise my rights because it might scare the sheep? I dont agree with that at all. And by the way, I was referring to letting customers carry in their store, not employees. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that. But I will say, if I was a criminal and I knew a store was staffed with armed employees, Id walk my ass to the next store down the street and rob it. The whole "open carrying will get you shot first" thing is debatable, in my opinion.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

That's too bad; i always liked their candy selection. I sent in a enote as well.