Waiting Periods

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by danf_fl, Feb 18, 2011.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With instant checks in place, why are there still waiting periods?

While the waiting periods were originally put in place as a "cooling off" time should a person purchase a firearm while angry...

Don't they know that dern rednecks can hold a grudge for more than 10 days?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Because ten day waiting periods in Kalifornia make all the evil features on a firearm vanish like a politicians promises. :rolleyes:

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I picked up a used XD 45 earlier this week, had to wait 48 hours from the day I completed the background check paperwork. Gov. Doyle got a 48 hour waiting period passed in WI a few years ago, which is actually less the Federal law requires! :p

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Geez, I sure miss America. :(

5. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

New Mexico is usually the same day unless an issue.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There- fixed that fer ya.

Funny about that "Federal Law". No wait here in Virginia (except the days the computers are running slow)

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

CA used to be 15 days. Now it is 10. A move in the right direction, but it should be 0.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

NICS checks are federal, at least my State has decided that 7 (really 8 days) is how long it will take them to determine that I am member of their state national guard and not a threat.

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Whats a waiting period? Is it that the three minutes the dealer spends on the phone? Evil tactic, making me walk around the shop looking at more things to buy. :rolleyes:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

not sure why i need to wait 48hrs in wis. i already got a couple dozen...

11. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

same here in NY unless its a handgun ur same day, at least i was with my shotgun

12. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

God Bless Texas!No wait unless there is an issue.

Murfdog:)

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Its with everything. No waiting period unless their is a problem. Very rare, but have been there a couple times when a guy gets a no-go. Aawkward to say the least.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I would humbly point out, that with an 03 C&R FFL, available to collectors across the US, $30 for 3 ears, my waiting period is how long it takes me to remove a copy of license from wallet, sign my name, hand it to dealer. That is also all of the dealer paperwork I have on purchase of a C&R firearm.

OK- downside? You stay broke a lot. But happy.

15. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Here in Nevada, the only time you wait is on your first (in the state) handgun purchase...and that wait is 3 days. After that, you walk in, buy the weapon and walk out the same day. No wait on long guns (rifles) including those "evil" assault rifles.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Here in Wyoming there is no waiting period. If you have a Wyoming Conceled Carry permit no Brady check. You can buy a handgun and walk out with it. If you do not have a concealed carry you must do a Brady check. If your record is clean you will get your handgun in 20 minutes.

DK

17. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Same deal with TN I walked in and bought my XDM and kimber 1911 and left the store with 1000 rounds in less then a half hour. been lookin at them a while lol. just wish i could move back to the east coast so I didnt have to deal with Komiefornias restrictions!