VZ24 which caliber

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Bgravitt, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bgravitt

Bgravitt New Member

I currently have a VZ24 chambered in 30.06. It has been sporterized and has a decent trigger and stock for my needs. I have a Remington in the 30.06and it shoots very well. While the 30.06 is a multipurpose round for most deer hunters, I don't see a need for another .06. Which caliber would some of you VZ24 fans choose. Being that my knowledge for gunsmithing and what could work in very limited, I don't know if I need to stay in the .30 caliber rounds or not. So any suggestions is more than welcome.

Thanks
    BGravitt

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You can make a very simple rebarrel to 25/06, .270,.280, or even 35 whelen with no other changes. Does 1 of those cartridges "light your fire"? You could also convert to a short action cartridge with some minor magazine work.

3. Bgravitt

Bgravitt New Member

Thanks for the info. The 25.06 has been on the mind as of lately but also the .280 has also appealed to me. I can always find a need for a new firearm.

Would I have to worry about headspacing in the chamber? If I had know that it is as simple as you have said I would've done this a long time ago. Thanks again.

Bgravitt

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Yes you always have to headspace any bolt action rifle when changing the barrel out.