VZ grips vs custom

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Bronco141414, May 14, 2014.

1. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

I've heard good of the VZs and how they are easy to grip and don't slip because of their aggressive nature. But the custom ones out there are pretty damn pretty. Do the VZs offer any great features that basic or custom grips don't have? I got a ruger sr1911 ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400118718.138998.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a lot of it comes down to personal preference. just Google custom 1911 grips and see how many hits you get!:D

VZ grips are great and work great because of how they are made. but stock grips on most 1911's have also worked well for many for decades.

quite honestly, i think most people change the grips to personalize the gun to their individual tastes, more than anything. i like a grip that looks good and has a good feel to allow me control over the pistol.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Your Ruger has nice factory stocks. Some may wish to keep the original stocks pristine. As Axxe said, changing the stocks is a simple, easy way to personalize your gun.

I have some VZ's on a couple of 1911's, I have no problem recommending them.

I have VZ Gatorbacks (what can I say) on my Colt Combat Commander.

Attached Files:

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I also have some stocks I purchased from a dude I met at a gunshow in Oshkosh, WI.

One of our members, Olympus, does outstanding work producing some beautiful grips.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Regardless of who made them, the super aggressive grips may bite your hand like a rasp. If you like to squeeze your pistol tight, they may get uncomfortable. Best to check them out physically before paying, or to buy with an assured return policy.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You're basically comparing two different things. VZ grips are more of a tactical grip. They are utilitarian, but also eye catching to a certain extent.

The custom grips are generally higher quality exotic woods that are meant to accent the beauty of a gun. I like to use rifles as an example. Synthetic stocks would be comparable to VZ grips while high grade English Walnut stocks would be like custom grips. Both have their uses, it just depends on how you will be using your gun and what you want it to look like.

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Another thing to look at is price! Do you want to spend $150 on pretty grips or spend $70 and under on aggressive grips!?!?

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

For sure! Price is another large factor in your decision. Custom means more time to produce, not assembly line efficiency.

9. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Some of us just can't resist personalizing our pistols. Some things, like trigger work doesn't show, but makes a world of difference.

My personal stamp is a Gadsden Flag grip. Three 1911's all with Gadsden grips. Some folks find that repetitive and boring, but it just states my view of the world. YMMV.

Attached Files:

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

There's a VZ configuration for everyone. From mild to wild as far as grip texture is concerned. If you can't find a texture that suits you, it's your own fault.
    https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911
    Here's mine, VZ recons in Hyena brown:

Attached Files: