VX R review?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by icallshotgun88, Nov 8, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I'm looking into buying a Leupold VX R And I'm wondering who here has owned one and what your experience with it was...

I've heard mixed reviews about Leupolds in general.

For one, I've heard they aren't worth the money (over priced basically)

Two, some may durability/reliability issues... And I'd like to say that durability is the #1 thing I look for in a scope. Are Leupolds rugged? And we're those thins I'm hearing just the typical 1% of manufactured goods that have problems?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. icallshotgun88

Oh, an how does the VX R line compare to the VX3 series?

3. Mercator

Mercator New Member

One of the best scopes I've ever had, with the Fire Dot. May not be Army rugged, but for sports and hunting, hooray.

Can't compare to the VX-3, but I'd want the Fire Dot anyway. Both of my Leupolds have it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. icallshotgun88

I'm new to scopes...
    Which scopes would you consider "Army rugged"?

Not that I'm going to war with it, but I want to buy ONE scope and have it last me a lifetime...if that's even possible

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

A Steiner. That's 2K or so.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

personally not a fan of leupold. at all. mainly because of shoddy construction. ive had some that refuse to hold zero, pieces of the scope break up on normal use and pepper the lenses inside with debris.

my preferred optics come from nikon, trijicon, nightforce, vortex.

the nikon african monarchs are pretty tough and take extended use on hard recoil calibers like 458 socom, 458 lott, 458 winmag, 45-70 very well.

best of em are the nightforce but they are very pricey and im not a fan of most of their reticle offerings for 1-4x scopes.

trijicon has the best of the lot for a good 1-4 in their accupoint line and not much beats the acog in a fixed power model.

vortex are decent but much like nightforce they are focused on reticles that are too "busy" for my tastes in a 1-4x

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

One Leupold that I used to have did acquire a tiny black "spider" at 2 o'clock, apparently on the inside. It was a 1.5-4x compact but not VX-R (I hate their alphabet soup)

8. glocknloaded

glocknloaded New Member

The gold ring leupolds have a life time warranty. I just put one on my Browning X bolt. The fit and finish is fantastic. Haven't had a chance to run it yet though

Attached Files:

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Leupold refused to fix my mk4 cqb scope because its electronic. According to the rep I talked to. Nothing wrong with the electrics it just won't hold zero. Even the slightest vibration knocks the reticle off. They have offered to fix my vx7 but I haven't bothered sending it off as I won't put it on another gun. At some point I will get around to that and then sell it.

I think the downturn in quality coincides directly with their merger with redfield.

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Was the mount solid? Any add on pieces?