Vortex vs. Leupold vs. Bushnell vs. NIkon

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by KCW9, Mar 11, 2010.

1. KCW9

KCW9 New Member

Hi all I wanted to see if anybody has any experience with Vortex optics and how they measured up to the Leupold, Bushnells, and Nikons. I wanted to see how their glass does for everybody and if anybody has had any problems with fogging or what not. Thanks

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

never heard of vortex. most of my scopes are leupolds. i have a colt scope made in japan one of the original 1-4X20 ones. got a couple of nikon and some older ones form the 60's and 70's never had fogging issues with any of em even the el cheapo target sports 1x20 red dot that came on my ruger mk2.

i dont think fogging is a real issue with most scopes. however if your transporting them from warm to cold or other way round in high humidity the temperature shock may cause condensation to form on the outside of the lens. but that should go away when the scope temperature hits ambient. if its forming on the inside then you got a issue with the scope not being sealed. that would consitute manufacturer defect or user error by opening the scope body.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I know Canebrake, one of our moderators, has a Vortex on one of his rifles. I'm sure he'll be along to give you an educated, fair opinion.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have never seen a vortex but I know a few guys who love them. they all have the high end models.

I am not at all a leupold fan. The only one I bought was the biggest waste of $550 I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I traded it for a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x42mm and Now I am a nikon man. Just picked up and put a Nikon on my new AR-15.

5. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Vortex is coming out with a Viper PST that from all that I've heard and read about,is supposed to be a great scope and priced around $899.

I looked at the regular Viper,and wasn't impressed that much with it.The clarity wasn't great for a $500 scope,but it was a nice scope with alot of windage/elevation adjustment,and Vortex's warranty is supposed to be one of the best in the industry.

That said,if you are wanting a nice scope for the money,take a look at Sightron.I just bought a SIII 6-24X50 LRMD,and the clarity is as good as my Swarovski PH that cost 3X as much and alot of reviews say they look as good/clear as Nightforce.I haven't compared it to my Swarovski at dawn/dusk yet,but I think it will be right there with it as far as light gathering is concerned.

The Bushnell Elite 4200/6500 series are good scopes,but they don't have much adjustment range on the higher magnification scopes.

Nikon makes great scopes,and I have a couple Monarch's on hunting rifles,but for long range shooting they lack adjustment and on several models have 1/8" clicks instead of 1/4". For a hunting rifle or for shooting normal ranges,Nikon is well worth the price.

Some people like Leupold's,I'm just not one of them. Good scopes,decent glass,great warranty,and way over priced for what you get. IMO.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Maybe you've done this tango but would you mind posting a picture of that AR15 with the Nikon on it? I'm looking at optics options for mine and would love to see how it looks and how you mounted it.

Thanks

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Here is the AR with a 6-24x50mm Nikon Monarch. I got a set of rings coming that are a tad bit shorter and will give me a bit better sight picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  9. Huntbear

Huntbear New Member

Before I bought Vortex, I would buy the new Redfield scopes. Made by Leupold.

Nikon is really good as well.

I own an Elite 3200 3-9x50 and will be replacing it for my .338 WM. To small of an eye box for my liking, but is really clear, and holds zero well.

10. BlassFemer

BlassFemer New Member

I'll add my two bobs worth, Nikon, Leupold's are overpriced for what you get, I reckon that they all have the cost of the warranty factored in.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Can I ask how are Nikons over priced?

Mine is as clear as my buddies Leupolds that cost twice as much. I will put my Nikons up against any scope costing twice as much and I am sure mine will hang if not surpass just about 90% of them.

12. BlassFemer

BlassFemer New Member

Oopps, how did Nikon slip in there :confused: where it's not supposed to be, I was referring to the Leupolds.

I also have a Nikon and great glass, IMO a cut above the Leupold.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK good for clearing that up.

I agree that Nikon in many ways is better than most of the Leupold line.

14. Warren2

Warren2 New Member

I have never used a Vortex scope, but i do have one of their Strike Fire red dot systems on my SKS and i like it very much, especially the $125 price as compared to the $300-$400 biggies...

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have a low-end Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire.

I could not pass up the scope for the money.

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope

I have just finished the build on my hog gun and plan to take it on it's maiden voyage in the next week.

The Vortex fit and finish is excellent, the warranty* is unequaled and with out shooting with it yet, I am very happy so-far.

[​IMG]

* The Vortex VIP Warranty

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. The VIP stands for Very Important Promise to you (our customers) that we will do the following:

Repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.

Unlimited lifetime Warranty

Fully transferable

No warranty card to fill out

No receipt needed to hang on to​

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

16. brandy

brandy New Member

With optics you generally get exactly what

you pay for. The AR has recently reviewed both the Vortexs and Redfields.
    Good scopes for the money but will never measure up to a VX III or 6500 in critical applications.
    That said, 99% of hunters would be fine with a 2-7 Redfield or Vortex.

17. Johnnyray

Johnnyray New Member

I have owed leupold and nikon scopes I think the nikon is the best buy by far its clearer and cheaper in my opinion the nikon is just best buy

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I think my ziess at 399.99 blows away my leupold vx3 hands down much brighter at almost dark than the leupold

19. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

Quality

I work in the Quality Control industry. I work closely with all four manufacturers. I trust Nikon when it comes to quality more than any of the others. They keep a higher tolerance on their manufacturing equipment and theri measuring equipment than the other three. If I could I would roll and Nikon scope, but I don't make that much money and I don't get a discount...lol.

20. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Dont get me wrong nikon are good scopes not great but good, but by no means would I believe nikon has better quality control than the others, such as ziess, vortex, leupold