Firearms Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my vortex from PSA, but haven't had a chance to go shooting since I got it. I noticed that there seems to be a little bit of movement in the mount (front to back) when I have it tightened down all the way. Has anyone else noticed this with their original mounts from vortex? i am consideing going the larue mount to see if this solves the movement priblem.vortex

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, cut me off. I have highly considered the larue cantilever mount, will this solve my movement problem? Thanks a lot guys

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
My prefered mounts are adm. Ive got some larues im not at all happy with. I swap optics a LOT and the larue acog mount was tearing up my rails. It was also loosening up the more i used qd feature.

When you mount an optic on a rail you need to push it forward in the rail slot or it can easily shoot itself loose. That may be your root issue

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have the mounts they sent me and haven't seen any movement in them

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I have made sure I pushed the mount all the way forward, I've tried it on different sections with the same result. I still have movement front to back. Any suggestions on a cantilever mount that won't tear up my rail?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my first optic for my first ar, so maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing granted the vortex cost me 120, I'm not expecting aimpoint quality. The upper is a flat top PSA 16" middy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine mounted perfectly on my rra. I had to get the ar riser option. As mentioned some rails are out if spec. My buddy had a bushy that we couldn't mount a red dot on. Weird.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
psa should be a good railed upper. vortex warranty is superb if you contact them they will make it right. out of spec mounts are always a possibility. i use a strikefire on a couple different guns its the best non aimpoint rds out there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'll fire an email over to vortex and see what they say. I like the adm cantilever mount, would that be compatible with my strikefire?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I'll fire an email over to vortex and see what they say. I like the adm cantilever mount, would that be compatible with my strikefire?
im not sure. im using the vortex mount. i use adm on everything else as im [email protected] i got sucked into the larue hype.

·
Registered
223 Posts
brettc said:
This is my first optic for my first ar, so maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing granted the vortex cost me 120, I'm not expecting aimpoint quality. The upper is a flat top PSA 16" middy.
Is the vortex strike fire worth getting for the money

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Copeman60 said:
Is the vortex strike fire worth getting for the money
Considering the discount I would say yes. I haven't had much experience with aimpoint/eotech, so for what my opinions worth I would think the strikefire would suit the needs of most if price is a buying point for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got an Aimpoint on a Daniel defense, eotech on a rock river and vortex strikefire on a DPMS. Having various quality of red dots, my only major complaints on the vortex are the dust caps and position of power button. The caps are a pain in the *** to close properly and I'm always accidentally powering on the red dot. For a cheaper alternative to the Aimpoints and eotech,I would recommend the vortex.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
one other thing i forgot to add. most of the mounting systems that vortex ships are ADM mounts if you have one with yours then you just need to tighten the nut a turn at a time till it locks solid.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I had the same issue when I first mounted mine and scratched my head for awhile over it. The solution was to turn the piece on the bottom of the mount that tightens over and it will tighten down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts