Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on a Mini 14 Tactical

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Tom Wright, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Tom Wright

Tom Wright New Member

Guys,

I currently have a Vortex Strikefire red dot on a GG&G rail. I am replacing it with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 (30mm tube). I want to keep the scope as close to the bore as possible. Should I use the GG&G rail with low weaver style rings or go with low Ruger rings without a rail?

towboater likes this.
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tom
    Due to the height of the GG&G Rail on the Mini 14 Receiver the Low Rings should be good. As you stated, you want to keep as low as possible with the Bore. However, the only other consideration is that both ends of the Scope do not have contact with the Rifle Barrel when mounted.

Also if you have not go to our Introduction Section and Introduce Yourself!

Tom Wright likes this.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go with Ruger rings of the proper height. I dont like the rail covering the action. I have a stock bag on the butt stock that gives me a little more height.

Tom Wright and towboater like this.
  4. Tom Wright

Tom Wright New Member

Mounted it on the GG&G rail with some low rings I already had. Going to run it like that for a while, but I like the idea of the Warne QD ruger rings that allow me to quickly remove the scope for access to the iron sights. They would also make cleaning easier.

jrmoore7138, RJF22553 and towboater like this.
  5. Tom Wright

Tom Wright New Member

20200806_111941.jpg Here's the final (For now) build up of mmy Mini. Put it in a Archangel Precision Stock with the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 mounted on Warne WD rings. At the business end I added a Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer, Magpul bipod and a Miculak DPMS muzzle brake. Zeroed scope at 50 yards (per Vortec recomendation) and using reticle hitting steel at 330 yards. Very pleased with this setup.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a nice set up but heavy. I have the 1-6x24 Strike Eagle on an AR. Right now I have a red dot on my Mini 14 to keep the weight down. I have a scope in mounts and sighted in in the bag.