Vortex scope adjustment

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by boredintr, Feb 15, 2014.

1. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Can a 6x20x44. 33 mm tube vortex viper scope mounted on a 308 be sighted from 100 yrds to 1000 yrds with out the addition of a 20 degree rail this scope has a bdc cross hair system how much adjustment is there in this scope

Boredintr on Firearms Talk

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

go to Vortex's website and look up the specs on your scope. it should be there somewhere in how much adjustment you have in relation to elevation and windage.

purely my guess, but with the 308 being at the very limit at 1000 yards, i would have to guess, you will need a 20 MOA base to get out to that distance to have enough adjustment in the scope to hit accurately.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

What model vortex??

What bullet??

With a smk 168 2600fps you need 44 moa of turret adjustment to get to 1000yds with a 100yd zero.

Most off the shelf scopes can handle 1 full rotation. Cheaper optics start crapping out on the second rotation. The click values tend not to be the same click to click. That's one reason there is a huge gap in price from something like a nightforce to a vortex.

Even if that vortex will go two plus rotations I would go 20moa cant to stay inside the optic's ability to adjust evenly.

4. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Thank you for the answer

Boredintr on Firearms Talk