Volunteered for police negotiator training

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PrimePorkchop, Nov 17, 2013.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

So tomorrow I'll be going in to help my local PD train their hostage negotiators. I get the role of the bad guy that they have to try and talk down and this is my first time ever doing something like.

I've been researching it quite a bit, because I don't want to screw this up (I know some of these guys pretty well, and wouldn't want to let them down!)

Anybody here ever been involved in this? Got any advice for doing things right the first time around? =)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Just watch The Negotiator with Samuel L. Jackson and you'll be fine :p. totally kidding, but really, I'm posting in here because I'm interested to know as well. BUMP!

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ummm....act like a Bad Guy?:p

seriously, good luck and have fun!:D

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Don't give in unless you get a ham sandwich.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Went thru the FBI Negotiator course back about 1980.

Interesting course. Not going to give you pointers- except at some point, the negotiator will be considered to have failed, and then you get shot.:eek:

You might want to consider that. Will tell you this- 2 things you will never get- additional weapons and additional hostages.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Sounds interesting. Let us know what happens (if you live:eek:)

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

He brings up a very good point. The best deal that you will ever get is the one you had before the whole incident occurred.

Things just can't get better. You might take out some hostages by stealing their ham sandwich, but in the end, it always hurts. (sendto:Slips)

8. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

It can get better, if you get you a helicopter to fly you to a deserted airfield with a jet to take you to a non extradition country loaded with a 1000 Disneyland churros.

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

He'll be lucky to get a ham sandwich.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Hey Porkchop,
    Ask them if they will give you more ammo, and in a bunch of different calibers. Ask for rifle rounds, pistol rounds, any caliber you can think of. Tell them you only have a few thousand of each and don't want to run out. It'll keep them guessing as to what you have! (besides, if they give in and provide it, maybe you can take it home?:D)

11. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

its a negotiation aim high get the ham sammich

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Also remember that a hostage negotiator will try to "sympathize" with the bad guy to get him to give it up. Keep them guessing, change your tactics frequently. Keep track of the changes and go back to earlier stuff as you go along.

If you are given a script to go by, stay just within the boundaries of the script but dance on the edge. It will be good training. A good training session in anything should challenge the people being trained.

13. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

Also throw in the occasional crazy request like a clown costume with 15 blue vertical stripes. It will help later with the 5150 defense later. Your lawyer will thank you.

14. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Make them work. Ask questions a out something you're familiar with, football, golf, guns, whatever. Then cut off communication until they research and give the correct answer. You'll have fun. The scenario training is a blast.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

BLUE STRIPES!?!?! Seriously???

16. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

you prefer another color? Perhaps red?

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Blue is just not crazy in anybody's book. :p

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

"I want the letter Z stricken from the Alphabet, My cell phone bill paid and a Peperoni Pizza ASAP or else!" Or else Im gonna come up with a few other silly demands"...

Watch it, they been known to put Ruffies in Cheri Coke's, out like a light, negotiations complete!

Sounds pretty cool, have a good time with it! We used to do Civil Defense training every year and I got to play Skirmisher more than once, it was fun, got to call officers and others anything we wanted, it got pretty dirty sometimes. Just gotta watch out cause the bad guys often get handled a bit rough once they are apprehended, all the suddon, its your face in the dirt. Its an interesting dynamic to watch and participate when the lines become blurred by role playing.

19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

For work I have played both sides of role playing A LOT. Here's what you need to do to give them what they are looking for.

1) Be serious about it. It's not a game they are training to survive and save peoples lives.

2) Stay within the parameters if the scenario laid out for you.

3) Try to think of what you would honestly do in that scenario if you were driven by desperation to actually do those things and do them. If there is a logical next step, TAKE IT.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  20. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

You my want to smuggle some beef jerky, peanuts and some carbs, as well as a few bottles of water.
    After you drink the water, you may need them for a subsequent process. Don't let them off the hook for the ham sandwich tho'.