Volquartsen .17 WSM

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by MCarter788, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Has anyone else seen that they are researching a build of one of these in semi-automatic? If so does anyone plan on getting one? I hope it comes in the carbon barrel and hogue stock option like their 10/22. I held one in my local gun store not to long back and it felt and looked great!

2. natman

natman Member

I've read on their website that they are "researching" such a gun. It won't be easy because the tiny bore and the high pressure will make it very difficult to keep a blowback action closed long enough to prevent a ruptured case.

Still, if anyone can do it, it would be Volquartsen. We shall see.

3. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Yea I want a gun in that round, but I'm not crazy about buying a Savage so that's what is holding me back. Do you think you would buy one if Volquartsen brought one out?

4. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Whats wrong with a savage? I picked one up about 9 months ago and its a tack driver. Under .5 groups at 100yds.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I wouldn't care to have a semi-auto .17 HMR. What I would like would be a toggle-action or perhaps a T-bolt. I think semi-auto would ruin the cartridge.

Also seriously would consider a .17 Hornet Browning T-Bolt.

6. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

I guess I can't judge a Savage bc I have never owned one. Maybe one day ill check one out.

7. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

marlins 17hmr is a real nice shooter to. The round it self is prity impressive.

8. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I had a savage 93R17 and holy ****...... That's thing will put 5 bullets in a quarter inch hole, now granted it did have a bulled barrel

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

"Had" a gun? What is this word "had" you use? It is unfamiliar to me.

10. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I've got the Marlin 917 stainless bull barrel and that thing is a tack driver!

11. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Yah?! Not suprised. All my marlins are a damn good gun. No remline crap here. Lol i debated getting the marlin or the savage for about 3 months. I ended up getting savage 93r bull barrel. Never had a savage before and im very impressed. Now i think im guna grab the marlin in the new 17 super mag!!

12. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

I didn't think anyone made a gun chambered in 17 super mag besides savage. Am I mistaken?

13. natman

natman Member

It depends on what Volquartsen does to deal with the out of battery problem. I wouldn't own a 17 HMR semi built on a straight blowback action, much less a 17 WSM.

Life's too short to deal with guns that explode.

14. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I know marlin and 2 other are working out the bugs and rifles should be out next year or so.

15. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

Who else besides Marlin? Will Rugerbe one of them?

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ruger makes the Model 77 in 17 Hornet. I imagine it would be a natural for the .17 WSM. Personally I wouldn't go with the Marlin out of those two manufacturers.