VLTOR stock kit...review?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Jun 26, 2014.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

2. icallshotgun88

It looks like it might be intended for a carbine length gas system..
    Would it be okay to use for a mid length?
    It should I get a different buffer?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

its very very high quality stuff. their buffer tubes are better made than milspec with no sharp edges and a very very nice finish.

there are 3 types of buffer tubes carbine rifle and pistol. they just refer to the type of stock your using not the actual gas system. so you can use a pistol buffer tube spring and buffer on a rifle length gas system with no issues. or carbine or however you care to mix it up.

the only thing is whichever tube you pick the stock buffer and buffer spring need to be the same type.

now. there are two types of carbine buffer tubes milspec and commercial. milspec are smaller outside diameter which makes them stronger. commercial are a bit larger in outside diameter making them weaker but cheaper to make by a few pennies a unit.

back to vltor. the tubes are really tight to the proper stock making stock wiggle on collapsable stocks pretty non-existant. very very high quality stuff.

i use a very similar stock on my scar17. it shoulders very well and has a good solid feel. you wont go wrong with the kit.

ive got a vltor tube thats going on my ar15 carbine that was on the wife's dpms panther m4. i bought it to upgrade that rifle to milspec stock but its been on the shelf since i sold it and got her a bcm carbine. at some point the buffer retainer will bend and need to be replaced thats when the vltor tube goes in.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 187$ one appears to be a more generic carbine buffer which will work well with a middy 14.5. the other is designed more for a carbine gas system which tend to be overgassed. that APPEARS to be the only real diff.

if i was considering that i would give vltor a call as the stats appear the same. there may be some subtle diff im missing from bcm's description.

if your going 14.5 i would strongly consider a carbine length gas system since a middy is designed specifically for a 16.5" barrel.

5. icallshotgun88

Would running a 14.5 on a middy make it over or under 'gassed' compared to running a 16"?

6. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

I don't have a review on the stock kit, but I do have an EMOD stock review that the above mentioned kit uses.

I installed it several years ago and have been more than happy with it. In fact, I made the mistake of putting it on my 6.5 Grendel AR this past weekend and realized just how much I liked it. I might just do it the redneck way and swap the stock back and forth between rifles. :eek:

[​IMG]

7. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

Can't comment on the kit itself but I'm sure impressed with the VLTOR parts I have used. I'm running their AK47 Modstock adapter with an EMOD. Fitment is super, adjustment is smooth, no looseness whatsoever. They sure know how to make a buffer tube and buttstock.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

a little under. along the same lines as a 18" barrel and rifle length tube. if it feels like its going bang then a noticable wait for it to cycle or shortcycle on lighter loads then its under gassed. just use a lighter buffer or and or lighter buffer spring. boils down to who makes the barrel. if its a decent company they will have actually drilled the port to an adequate size for common ammo types

9. icallshotgun88

It's a BCM barrel.
    And I'd presume they'd do a great job.
    I'll try out that kit.
    I have a feeling the buffer will be too heavy, but worse case scenario is that I have to buy a new buffer.
    No biggie.
    Thank you for your help.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

bcm barrel, it will be ported correctly.

11. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I have the kit. It's definitely a nice setup. The only gripe I have is the seam on the check rest. If you have facial hair it gets caught and causes some discomfort. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406651223.828801.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406651234.684412.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406651248.613151.jpg