VISM.... worth a ****?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by MisterMcCool, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I need a physically short scope to top a bullpup .22 LR. I found VISM on the line and their scopes have a physical appearance similar to my rifle. The price is very low, on par with BSA. I don't expect Nikon glass but I don't want Daisy performance either.

2. MisterMcCool

Okay, vism is a subsidiary of NCStar. As far as I know, NCStar peddles garbage and this is a subsidiary unworthy of their namesake. :(

3. MisterMcCool

Why oh why can't I just find a short, 4X scope? :confused:

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I've heard some decent reviews about the UTG Bugbuster scope but don't know positive if it comes in a fixed 4x power.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  5. MisterMcCool

Leapers UTG bug buster 3-9X or 3-12X and eight inches long. Not bad. Low price. Is it worth a ****?

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Reports have been mostly good but dont expect a Leupold.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    MisterMcCool likes this.
  7. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

as a general rule, you get what you pay for in scopes.

and anything $100 or less i personally would not expect much in the terms of quality or reliability.

want to save some money on a good decent scope, then check out Optics Planet. you can get on their email list and they will send you coupons. they also run sales and discounts all the time.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/

9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have a UTG 3x9 on an AK and it's been OK.
    Seems to hold zero well after 1000+ rounds.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  10. MisterMcCool

This is a .22 LR opossum rifle/plinker. Mostly opossum duty. I would spend a hundred bucks or so on a basic magnifying scope if it isn't a foot long. Six to ten inches would better top this bullpup.

11. Shopfox

Shopfox Active Member

Stupid question, but for your application and eyesight do you "need" a scope? Would a $48 Bushnell TRS red dot work for plinking, and possum busting?

MisterMcCool, Dallas53 and JTJ like this.
  12. JTJ

Not a stupid question. I was wondering the same thing but the OP looked to be intent on a scope. The TRS is one of the best values out there and well proven.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  13. MisterMcCool

A63C7203-76FB-4CE6-9B7D-9BE72013A830.jpeg
    It’s one of these that has a rail but no sights. Flip up sighs cost more than a scope. I considered a red dot but I worry that the batteries could be dead when I need it.
    One of my forum friends has offered me a UTG scope. I might just take him up on it. :)

Dallas53 and Shopfox like this.
  14. JTJ

That looks interesting. Tell us how it runs.
    The TRS25 is so inexpensive you could get 2 so you have a back up. I have several and none has ever failed me. I have accidentally left them on for a few weeks and they were still running. They have about 3K hrs battery life (4 months constant on) so just change the battery on a regular basis according to your use. I keep extra batteries on hand.

Dallas53 and MisterMcCool like this.
  15. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

if you remember to turn the red dot off when you're finished, the battery will last a long time. the one red dot i have left, has been on the same batter for over three years on the same battery.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  16. MisterMcCool

I have had it for five years or more. It feels great but it’s a hassle to clean.

Dallas53 likes this.
  17. JTJ

I had that in mind and I hate guns that are hard to clean. Why I like bolts and single shots.

18. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

If you're looking for a RD that won't blow through batteries look to Primary Arms or HoloSun for the model(s) that have 50K battery life and automatic off after a set amount of time and automatic on with movement of firearm. It doesn't hold the last set light intensity when it awakens from sleep, but when it comes on it's also not at the lowest setting.

I have a HoloSun HS403A(cheapest model) on an AR15 for around 4+yrs so far and it still on original battery. I'm using it as a backup sight just to see how long it will last. One thing that's a "con" is the battery on this model is on bottom between scope and mount, so changing out requires more effort. I believe model HS403C has the battery mounted on side where it's easier to get to, but also more expensive.

The TRS25 is a fine RD, just not automatic on/off and as cheap as they're becoming, I should get a couple as backup.