visiting lyme this dec

Discussion in 'Connecticut Gun Forum' started by bobski, Dec 1, 2013.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

snow skeet for the holidays!:cool:

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Don't get bitten by any ticks..

3. bobski

sure hope my guns works. hate to have a lemon in lyme.

4. bobski

what a great time! it was a nice small cozy 1 field skeet range. i was the guest of gonzilla right here on ftf. we shot 75 to100 rounds and it was cold, but not bad. rain melted all the snow the week before. gonzilla was a great host and i look forward to another visit.
    but i will say...that was the tuffest backdrop ive ever shot against. it kept me on my toes!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Bobski and Gonzilla.....great job getting together for a good time. It sounds like you all had great time. Pictures?

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Enjoyed the visit. Glad Bobski could meet other members of the club. I like your old Win 12. Did you make the shell weights ? Was considering adding 10 oz Mercury weight to my 870. Don't know if synthetic stock was set up for weight or I'd have to "create" a space. Balance - gun gets heavy quick.

Old Lyme - East Lyme - really are beautiful small towns. Yet, the tick is a public relations nightmare.

I hate to clean guns as well but next time I'll be happy take the 28 ga for a spin. Just couldn't take the chance I'd fall in love w her today. Always thought 28 ga. was the Ideal Training Gun.

When I just wipe down my gun, I call it "stress testing" rather than straight up sloth. The gun is remarkably tolerant. Going to get really cold soon, wonder if it will effect cycling or will I need to change my oil ? Figure if it's cold enough to freeze the action, I should be indoors anyway:D...

7. bobski

i try to avoid shooting semi's in winter. they tend to clog up. old army trick is to never oil a gun in winter. the oil freezes and turns to sap and effects cycling. thus i shoot pumps or o&u's in winter.
    winds...remember the backdrop at my place? open sky? picture this...gonzillas range is a sheer rock cliff hill about 25yds from the targets flight with mountain laurel and trees to boot. the target disappears in the backdrop making hitting birds close to impossible. i didnt see any 25 straights all day and gonzi's members were good all shots too. i got close once. i cant believe i missed a 7 low. the 7 low was the one you were good at winds! if you can hit a 7 low...how can i miss it?? well, i did!! must have been my katrina shells. but the real reason was...the sun was right where you must aim to hit that bird!! try staring at the sun...and youd know what we were up against.
    and as a rule of thumb, i keep returning to a club until i shoot a 25 straight. i hope gonzilla will have me after the shoot and hoot in april. i will be back in conn 23 april.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  8. bobski

g, for the forearm all i did was fill 3 old hulls with dead primers and lead and crimped them. i wrapped the coil spring around them and taped it so they wouldnt eject.
    i melted lead into a round mould and trimmed it to fill in the stock screw cavity and made sure it was snug with a turn of electric tape....so on recoil it wouldnt smack the pad and crack it from inside. i dropped an ear plug in first so the lead wouldnt be pounding the stock screw head.

9. bobski

my pics were taken with a 35mm. sorry! im sure g' can take some pics of his club for all of you to see how demanding the course was.

10. bobski

g, let me know how those 20ga hulls fire when you shoot them! you gonna shoot them before it gets arctic cold? hows your shoulder doing?

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

One positive about winter shooting - you are about as padded as you can get. Have had problems but ever since I changed the spring - she will finally eat the cheap stuff.

Of course, it might help if I cleaned it... :D In really foul weather, nothing is foolproof. One problem is moving in/out of warming huts develops moisture which then freezes. Fun & Games.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Wow. Sounds grueling. I don't need any more handicap than just being a new shooter. :)

13. bobski

gonzillas range knocked me down a notch. i would have felt bad....if it wasnt for everyone else missing too!

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Yep, there is no limit to our hospitality, missing comes w the full package deal...:D

15. bobski

as you can see, my mom doesnt take many pics. so when i was home recently, i got around to developing some of her 35mm stuff.
    look what i found!
    heres gonzo's home field and yours truly. check out that hill in the background you must shoot against!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Doesn't look as cold as I remember but I had a great time and learned a lot. Look forward to return visit at your convenience !

PS: 3200 back from gunsmith - LOP 143/4" w new white mid-bead n white front to match. Tried to install competition stock but it turned out to be a competition trap stock :mad: you can officaiate a Bobski Blessing over my new $2K shell catcher on your next visit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015