Virus Protection

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ranger-6, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I was using Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection, it worked very well. I decided to try Trend Micro as a change. Just curious to know what others are using on their computers.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm not sure what my son put on mine but I've never had any trouble. Why change something that you say works well?

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I've got 'Zone Alarm'.

4. zedpapa

zedpapa Member Supporter

I have AVG Free on my computers and haven't had a problem in the 4+ years I've been using it.

Brian

5. fev

fev New Member

We had avg on are puters and all caught a virus, ( killed my daughters laptop). I think she actually started the whole problem. I switched to avast & haven't had any problem since.

6. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I am a big fan of avast. Light in computer resources. Then for a back up firewall I have spybot search and destroy. And also a program called hijack this. Spybot and hijack are good removal tools. Sometimes a virus comes out of nowhere. I got hit with a trojan out of the blue last year, it was real nasty. But I had my computer at 100% within the hour.

7. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I just bought my first Mac computer and I am not running virus protection software on it. For my PC I use Norton Internet Security. It has worked very well for protecting my computers. It has stopped many viruses, malware and intrusion attempts and keeps a report of this activity. I highly recommend it.

8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I've caught colds and flu from both Norton and McAfee. Thinking of moving to MS security essentials when my current contract expires in a couple of weeks.

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

If you're using a MS Windows 7 machine the MS Security Essentials is the ticket, although it's not as flawless as it could be, but neither are any of the others.

The best part is that Security Essentials is free from Microsoft and it is not a memory and resource hog like McAffe, Norton and Trend Micro are. It runs quietly in the background and updates itself each morning without you even noticing. :cool:

10. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I ran norton 360 on my desktop and it SUCKED. Ran mcafee on my laptop, and it also SUCKED. Ms security essentials + ad-aware (free), no issues in 2 years. Running them together on my desktop, my laptop and my wifes laptop and neither of us have had any problems.

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

11. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I agree. Virus protection is not a perfect science. Some are better than others, but the end user needs to be aware of what not to click on. Legacy systems running XP are the most vulnerable.