Firearms Talk banner

Vinyl Gloves?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  c3shooter 
#1 ·
Anyone use gloves for gun cleaning, reloading, etc? If so, do vinyl gloves hold up to solvents or do they chemically "melt"?

I just picked up some gloves to help avoid exposure to lead, powder residue and other chemicals and want to know if vinyl will hold up or if latex would be better.

#3 ·
If I used gloves, I would probably bank on latex. More durable, less apt to break, but if I remember correctly, they do melt with some chemicals - brake cleaner is one.

In any case, I recommend the purple nitrile gloves.
I agree here. The latex gloves will get gummy. The Nitrile gloves will hold up well. My friend in Cali wears the Nitrile gloves when he cleans his guns and they do well with the chemicals. I work in the medical field and the Nitrile gloves give a great fit. The vinyl ones don't have much 'give' to them, making them kind of uncomfortable to wear.

#4 ·
Hmm....just went to the "Hoppes" website and they said in the FAQ that "Gloves must be neoprene" Guess I will have to look and see what is available for a comfortable, light, form fitting neoprene glove, and just use my vinyl for reloading.

I also found that glovenation.com has really nice charts for determining whether to use latex, vinyl, or nitrile. Looks like they all have their advantages/disadvantages, just depends on what your application is.

Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.