vinegar to clean brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by noahlanier9, Oct 31, 2013.

1. noahlanier9

noahlanier9 New Member

After tumbling my brass in corn cob media, I deprimed, cleaned the primer pocket and resized. After all that I tumbled my brass again in a 50/50 water and vinegar solution and now I'm hearing vinegar is bad for the brass and can weaken it. Is this true? Someone help this rookie out.

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It works for cleaning black powder Ctg. cases. The vinegar cleans but turns the cases a weird orange color. I have never heard of using vinegar on smokeless powder brass.:confused:

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I do not believe vinegar will weaken the brass significantly. Amonia is VERY bad for brass. Your source is likely confused

4. twoolddogs

twoolddogs New Member

Vinegar is mild acetic acid and will attack brass cases. It can be used for cleaning but I found it left the cases with a pink hue which results from the vinegar reacting with the zinc in the cartridge case and leaving the copper untouched.

Long Term exposure will definitely weaken the cartridge case, possibly to a dangerous level.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont get that in depth with cleaning brass. long as it isnt corroded i just run it in the tumbler with corn cob for 5 or 6 hours and it comes out pretty damn clean. i scavange a lot of brass and some of it has reallllly bad tarnish but a multi hours ride in the tumbler pretty much gets it clean enough to load and shoot.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have cleaned many .45-110 Sharps cases with vinegar. I have never noticed any damage to the brass except for coloration. The .45-110 Norma brass is over $4.00 dollars each. So you watch them closely. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sometimes if you add salt the vinegar will work even better.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is why you do not soak brass for an hour in pure vinegar. A bit in water is sufficient. Just till clean and rinse thoroughly

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's a beautiful Sharps that you have there,Nitestalker!

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice snipers rifle you have there young man!!!:D

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Thanks for the pic. I have never seen one before!:D

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Thanks fellows. I have always enjoyed "Long" range rifles. Like most 1,000 meter Iron shooters I own the .338 and 7MM Mags. They really are not as much fun as these Big Sharps Buffalo Rifles.
    Casting lead "Postell" bullets and loading Black Powder ammunition that will slam Iron is a challenge. This rifle is a Sharps Gemmer hunting rifle. It has been my Antelope rifle for many years. ;) It has a gain twist chocked bored barrel. The scope is a Leatherwood William Malcome 6 power. It has the high recoil rear base and adjustments.
    These rifles are expensive. This one has no engraving etc. A Gemmer riflle scoped can run $5,000 dollars. If you ever consider a Sharps start with a 45-70 from PDS and a good tang rear and globe front. These new will run around $2,000 bucks. It is one of those things that after you buy one you are glad you did.:)

13. Mouser

Mouser Member

Do you all remember a solvent marketed under the name of "Tarnex"? Seems to me that was used for cleaning metals like Brass...anyone ever try it and is it still on the market?

14. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I think it's still available if not you can always use Brasso.

15. buckfynn

buckfynn New Member

The manufacture of Tarn-X does not recommend it to be used on brass.

From the MSDS sheet for Tarn-X (MSDS pdf download)