Video - Shooting the .44 Starr Army Revolver

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by duelist1954, Sep 21, 2011.

1. duelist1954

duelist1954 New Member

This is a change from the Colts and Remingtons. Starrs were the third most issued revolvers in the Union Army.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU5CuFdgRoA]Shooting the 44 Caliber Starr Revolver.mov - YouTube[/ame]

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Nice video. thanks for posting.

3. confederatemule

confederatemule New Member

I enjoyed the video, thanks for posting it.
    My question is; "Who reproduces these, and who sells them?

Mule

4. duelist1954

duelist1954 New Member

They are made by Pietta. Dixie Gun Works has them...probably other places too.

5. confederatemule

confederatemule New Member

Thanks, duelist1954

6. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Remington cattleman carbine

I wish I could find Video footage of fireing the Uberti Cattleman revolver Carbine

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Excellent video but I've got a question... What was the purpose of filling the cylinder with grease after setting the bullet (ball)..? It's been a while since I've shot BP but I've never heard of filling the cylinder with grease before.. :confused:

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It's to prevent the chance of a chain fire. Which is where a spark or something manages to ignite another cylinder(s). You could buy Wonder Wads or something like that to prevent it aswell.

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Well, I learned something new :D. I wasn't aware of the Starr revolvers only the Colts, Remingtons, and LeMats. By any chance have you done a video on the LeMat?

10. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thanks.. and that makes perfect sense. Can you put the grease behind the ball rather than fill the chamber ? I've seen folks mention putting a wad in right after the powder charge and before the ball.

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I'm not sure on that one. I think, and I have no idea on this, if you did that the grease could cause some of the powder to not ignite or cause the flame to go out. Most people either put the grease in front of the ball or put wads between the ball and powder. Another thing is people say that putting the grease in front of the ball also provides lubrication for the bullet.

12. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Thanks... and sorry for the late reply .. "vacation"

13. firelooker

firelooker New Member

Very interesting video, thanks for posting.

14. bmynrd731

bmynrd731 New Member

nice