Video describing some of the extras you get with Colt, BCM, etc.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Quentin, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Stumbled across this video that's pretty good at illustrating some important areas that may or may not be done properly in the various AR brands. We get into a lot of heated debates here so it's good to visualize what is being argued. Not saying this is a comprehensive video but it hits on quite a few high points.

Do you need these features, do you need to pay extra for them? It's up to you and what you intend to use your rifle for.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCxwevGfq8&feature=watch_response[/ame]

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i like the vid explains the basics pretty good but two things.

shot peening only hardens the very top few layers of steel molecules. this makes a part many many times more durable. a must have if your going to shoot a lot of rounds. a non shot peened bolt will pit and wear out a lot faster nearly ten times faster than one thats been shot peened. the cost of a bolt that has been peened is cheaper than buying just one replacement when the nonpeened wears out

any lower receiver will accept a milspec or commercial buffer tube. the type of tube does not affect receiver strength. only affects how easy it is to crush the tube itself. milspec diameter is a slight bit more rugged.

so if you choose to go a cheaper route its wise when you build yours up to invest in a very good carrier. it IS the heart of the firearm. a stock dpms will go from meh to good just changing that crappy bcg to a bcm or colt bcg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I certainly agree but with the warning that a second BCG likely will morph into another AR! Anyway, that happened to me when I got a Daniel Defense BCG to upgrade my ArmaLite upper, moving the ArmaLite BCG out as a spare. Within six month I bought a DD upper, swapped the BCGs and had two ARs. :D And now with the new BCM I'm up to three! Oh well I got lots of spares now. :p

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Good find Q.