Victim of Taurus

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by RealWinner, Jan 11, 2010.

1. RealWinner

RealWinner New Member

I bought a new Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm last week and carried it for a week before I had a chance to fire it at the range. Little did I know I was carrying a single shot pistol with me the whole time! I discovered at the range that it has a defective extractor which causes the spent round to remain in the barrel after the gun is fired. Strangely, it operates normally when hand-cycling an entire clip through the weapon. I took it back to the dealer who said he’ll call me tomorrow after he has a chance to fire it. I’ve heard only negative comments about Taurus and now I believe them all! Don’t trust Taurus as a self defense weapon!

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My Taurus PT111 has been nothing less that reliable. It's too small for me, but it's a good pistol with about 500rds downrange.

ALWAYS test your firearms before carrying!!

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't blame Taurus one bit. Things happen that is why you test fire the firearm.

It is really your fault you are so upset. You didn't clean check and fire said pistol before you carried it. That is just STUPID in my book if you are going to bet your life on something.

Do you buy a car without test driving it? I sure know I don't.

Your pistol is an imperfect machine made by imperfect machines (HUMANS). Why didn't you take it to the range before you carried it? First thing I do when I buy a new gun is head right to the range even if it is just to quickly fire 50 or so rounds. You would have then figured out that it was defective.

Don't talk bad about a product when it was the operator that was screwed up in the beginning.

Tango OUT

PS It is victim not victom. Just saying.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Well that sucks! I hate to hear about somebody buying a new gun that won't run right, my condolences. I hope the shop gets it fixed for you right away. Obviously, you will want to run a box or two through it before it becomes your primary carry piece, but hey, you lived so you learn.

I will say that my nephew's .357 wheelgun from taurus seems to work fine and looks pretty nice too. I tried it last weekend.

5. RealWinner

RealWinner New Member

Sheesh, lighten-up Francis! I'm just sharing info to make this world a safer place. If you weren’t such a hot head you would relax and research my claim and discover that this has been a systemic problem with the PT709 since its inception. Shame on me for not doing the same.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I wouldn't take offense; some people join forums only to spread the bad word about a product that didn't work out for them. That is frowned upon by many people. I'm sure you will stick around & contribute some other info.

It doesn't take much, an occasional joke gets some of us by. :eek:

Have you got some other cases of this happening that would indicate a pattern? Maybe a gunrag article er something?

7. RealWinner

RealWinner New Member

Thanks. I'll try to be more positive:)

I read the exact problem from a post on TheHighRoad.com. He even uploaded a pic that looked just like my extractor.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Real, go here and be enlightened;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tangopedia-18750/#post168789 << Click Here

As far as Taurus, IMHO [​IMG]

I will say one good thing about Taurus, it's not a glock!

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Interesting.

I don't think you have to always "be positive" to get along with the class, but maybe lead off with a description of the malfunction in your new gun and then add that you have seen other reports of similar/the same problem and are wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience. If they have, i'd bet they'll chime in; if nobody else on here has had that problem, you'll know that some have had better luck with quality while still offering a warning to potential purchasers. :)

I've had very good luck with most of my firearms, except the lil AMT .22lr target pistol that is a beast to re-assemble.

10. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I have to agree with Tango on carrying a gun you haven't tried out, it's not a very good idea. I try to get a few hundred rounds through any weapon that I'm going to use for protection.

Let us know what the dealer tells you and whether Taurus helps you in any way. Any company can make a defective product every now and then, a good company will make sure the customer is satisfied after they receive a complaint.

One of our forum members used Taurus' warranty and it took months for him to get his revolver fixed. I had a pretty bad experience with my Judge, but the dealer I bought it from stepped up and gave me a full refund before they even heard back from Taurus on the issue.

11. tristan

tristan New Member

agreed you should make sure your gun works before before you depend your life on it but on the other hand from what i no of you cant test fire a gun unless you have already bought it.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

OK research the gun you are going to buy.

Maybe I came off a little hard sorry about that. I just dislike people that have a single problem with a firearm then condemn all firearms made by that company for ever and ever.

Then you start in with you carried it without shooting it first. You really expect yourself to function a brand new pistol in a firefight that you have never fired before. That is crazy in my book.

That being said I don't have my CCW YET. I do however have a buddy that is firearms trainer who trains civilian and govt personal who would think your NUTS for doing what you did.

13. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

"I don't have my CCW YET"

Damn Tango-All this time I thought that YOU were the John Wayne of Concealed Carry!! Sh!t I've had some kind of shooting iron under my coat for over 30 years, in Indiana....Just Saying..:eek::p

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There is a scene in a pretty good movie that can sum this issue up.

In The Ghost & The Darkness, Patterson takes a rifle from a friend out to hunt the Lions of Tsavo after they attacked. Remington, the American hunter goes along with him and they are seperated.

Sure enough, Patterson is confronted with one of the Lions, shoulders his rifle, pulls the trigger and nothing happens.

An almost death scene battle ensues before the Lion is scared off.

Remington, incredulous, asks Patterson "You took a rifle to the field that you have never fired before?!?!"

Seriously brother, I have shot a few Taurus and I have YET to see happen what any of the horror stories of the interwebz claim would happen. You weapon could merely have a faulty extractor, or your slide timing could be off.

Both of which would have been identified if you fired the weapon prior to carrying it.

Personally, NO WEAPON is carry worthy until I put 400-500 rounds through it WITHOUT a problem at a range in several conditions, including hot, cold, dirty and with range ammo.

Good luck and I hope you get what you are looking for in repair/return.

JD

15. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Point to be made here..

It is very important to: Fully clean, learn complete operation, fire 3-500 rounds, become second nature to ANY firearm, before depending on it to save your life, or the lives of others.:)

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Brett doesn't need to pack, he has a select fire verbal chain gun!

17. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I have to support Tango on this one. Not for any sort of technical accuracy, but because he doesn't have a 'Don't Sh*t Down This Person's Windpipe" switch. It's admirable. And funnier'n Hell.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Love that movie!!

19. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I own two Taurus firearms, and both work flawlessly. When I carry them, I trust them 100%. Perhaps it isn't a good idea to carry any gun before test firing it.

20. RealWinner

RealWinner New Member

Yea... the point of my posting was not to have everyone tell me I should have test fired before I carried. The point was to inform you that the PT709 is a POS! You are welcome! BTW, the dealer was so appalled at the condition of the firearm after I returned it to him that he gave me a FULL refund and apologized for selling such a POS.

Good luck with your Taurus'; I hope you don't depend on them!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010