vhs tape

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by mountainman13, Nov 19, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Great to have in your Bob. Light weight and doesn't take up much room, very useful.
    The plastic can be melted and used as an adhesive. One of the springs (once reinforced) can be used as a fish hook. There are a few useful screws and small metal parts that can be used.
    The best part is of course the tape itself.
    Once stretched and twisted like cordage it can be used for all sorts of things from sewing to fishing line, trip wires and snares. I believe it could also be used for a bow string but haven't tested that yet.

Anyone else know of random items like this that have alot of uses?

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I hear tampons can clog up about anything to include wounds.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear dead bears are just PACKED with useful fat, meat, and sinews (bow string).

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I actually used to use pads to cover tattoos after I did them. Lol
    you're making me hungry.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Did I mention the nice warm blankey for relaxing after lunch of bear bits? Good bear = dead bear.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

7. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

WILSON!!!! Had to make a movie reference on that one. Condoms and crayola crayons, both have multiple uses, small and easy to carry

8. hmh

hmh New Member

The original purpose of tampons was as bullet wound "cloggers"

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Big bullet wounds! We used to put condoms on our M16 Muzzles when in wet weather, they didnt work so well, broke too easy! Thats a pretty good break down of the VHS Tape, never even thought of those uses, the tape is pretty strong and there is a mile of it on there.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't know where to find a VHS tape anymore. Yard sales?

11. drew661

drew661 New Member

Expound on crayons please. Fire starter, waterproofing. What else?

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Coloring, drawing, writing... :p

13. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Must have some nutritional value as kids eat them all the time.

14. Chestys1911

Chestys1911 New Member

Candle, put 'em in your nose for comic relief

15. drew661

drew661 New Member

Lol, thanks guys

16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Crayons are made of wax which can be melted and coated over a string for a fire starting enhancment, with enough of them you could melt them and put a water resistant covering on paper and match heads. They can be used to write on damn near anything which would be good for marking trails and navigation. Wax can be melted and applied to a rust bolt to help loosen it without stripping the nut or bolt. Can be used in some cases as a lube.

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Duct tape. Not only can it be used as a waterproof sealant, it also can be lit and used as a fast burning firestarter, made into a rope, boot and shoe repair, the list is almost endless.

18. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Thrift stores.

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Me personally I keep a foot of bailing twine covered in candle wax in my pack pretty good for starting fires or as a red neck candle if worse comes to worse. I also keep a thing of bacon grease with me too, not really any medical use just makes things I kill taste better.

One things I've wanted to try is some of the new bow string material and see what all it could be used for given it's standard uses.

20. stag556

stag556 New Member

Straws. You can fill them with anything from salt, coffee, medicines, anything you need to keep dry. You can cut them into what ever length (single servings)and melt them ends to seal. Then when your done with the contents, the plastic will make a good fire starter.