Veteran says restaurant refused to serve him with his service animal

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, May 8, 2011.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

2. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Did the dog have one of those ponchos identifying it as a service animal? The article only states that he brought copies of laws, not certification for the dog. I'm not agreeing with the managers actions but this seems like one of those situations where there is three sides to the story, what the vet said, what the manager said, and what really happened.

my 2 cents....

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea, it's a Hooters policy.

They don't allow any competition with their wait staff.

Attached Files:

4. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Do blind dogs have service humans to help them get around?

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Damn you yunus You stole that right from my brain.....

It sounds like if someone says its a service dog that makes it a service dog as long as you have a disability.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. Maverick

Maverick Member

Maybe he could have gotten creative.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDQXvh8i27Q]YouTube - Jamaican dog on your head ?[/ame]

7. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Hooters............

Why are men and women bringing home DOGGSSSSSSSSSSSSS from overseeeees.:eek::)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Careful, my spouse is a resident alien from Germany.

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

I used to run into this when I worked at an airport. Many people brought their dogs into the terminal saying they are a "service" dog but in reality it was more of a companion dog. Some would even produce a letter from their doctor stating the presence of the dog calmed the owner, or it was necessary for the owner to have the animal nearby, but nothing indicated that it was for a service. That's not a trained function according to the ADA law, that's a companion animal, totally different.

As the ADA law states, the dog must be trained to do a function for the owner, companionship is not a trained function. In the case of the Hooters incident all the article says is the dog was specially trained, even when the Paws and Stripes rep shows up nothing was indicated that it was trained as a service animal.

All anyone can do is guess on this one because first, we weren't there, and second, we all know the media doesn't print the truth all the time, and those who want their plight brought into the limelight will also fudge things for the good of their story.