Very very new to the AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SmithKid308, May 28, 2012.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I'm very very very new to the AR world and I'm extramly lost in this new type of gun, well I had a delma that im sure that most of us have had the AK vs AR and decided to get both BUT decided to get the AR first because of the versatility and light weight. So that brings me to my first point 5.56 or .223 ? Mid length or carbine and how can I improve the gas system ? Well I hope I get a good response from you guys and I'm a very avid shooter and shoot around 2 times a week so thanks for the help to anyone who puts input

SmithKid

Ps ive only ever handled 1 and it was built for long range

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. Redleg

Redleg New Member

223 and 556 are essentially the same "caliber." 223 is the civilian version, which has a somewhat lighter charge than the military 556. Many or most civilian ARs will handle both. Some civilian 223 rifles are not designed to handle 556. It is nice to have a rifle that will handle 556 as this is often available as cheap surplus ammo.

Lots of other good info on this forum but beware of the strong opinions.

3. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

If I get the upper in 5.56 will it take .223 ?

4. billt

billt New Member

What type of shooting are you planning on doing with it? About how much are you willing to spend? Also, do you plan on shooting it with iron sights, or optics? If so what type of optics are you considering? Battle sights like Aimpoints or ACOGS, or a conventional scope? If you can answer any or all of these questions your choice can be more easily guided in the proper direction.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

5.56 will always take .223, but don't try it the other way around.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

An AR chambered in 5.56 can handle .223. An AR in .223 can NOT handle 5.56. Remember that it is because like he said the 5.56 is more of a military round and a .223 chambered riffle can not handle the higher presser the 5.56 produces.

7. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I wanted it for SHTF WROL and just as my first AR I want to use good iron sights and I plan on doing Alot of shooting with it and im willing to spend around 650$

8. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

9. billt

billt New Member

Yes. The only difference between the 2 is the freebore is greater in the 5.56 MM chamber. Freebore is the amount of the rifling that is cut away to allow the bullet a "running start" at the rifling. It allows greater velocity without as much chamber pressure as a non freebored chamber. You can shoot either or in either chamber.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Make sure you go through the stickies here in the AR sub-forum.

11. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

So what do you think 650$ could get me this does not include extras and should I build it or should I buy it complete ?

12. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

$650 will get you a S&W Sport. Not the greatest but def the best in the $600 range as complete ARs go.

13. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Yes, the kind of dough you are talking about will buy one of the Smith & Wesson AR rifles, and these are very good rifles from an iconic American manufacturer.

14. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

I may be able to squeeze 750$ or 800$ what would that be in the ballpark of ? And would it be cheeper to build one ?

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

In that case look into Palmetto State.

16. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What is the quality of the Smith sport ? On their site it says suggested retail is 739$

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Here ya go if you have $750 - $800 to spend you will get it to your door for what your looking to spend, this one has a rear sight and is ready to rock when you get it ,. I bought 2 of the PSA's when PSA was still selling them direct to the public , no problems what so ever , very accurate , very well made , no FTF or FTE since new , well I take that back I had a bad mag that wouldnt feed but it wasnt a gun problem . I have roughly 2500 rds thru one of them and about 1500 thru the other ,

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Palmetto_State_Armory_AR15_ORC_16_Chrome_Lined_5_p/gun-psam4-cl.htm

For $749 shipped to your FFL you get the Palmetto State Armory 16" carbine with rear magpul sight and one 30 rd mag . All you need is ammo and your ready to go . Remember anything over $90 at Joebobs gets free shipping :D

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Bcm has very nice midlength lightweight uppers for 419$ if your not in some commie state or wisconsin no tax. That leaves you nearly 400 for a complete lower. Bcm complete lowers are around 350$ no tax as above. Then a nice rear sight and your golden.

Add in bolt carrier group and charging handle your at 800ish for a top of the line rifle. Bcm makes great bolt groups as well and vltor/bcm gunfigter charging handle.

If you gotta save a little to get that extra 50$ for the gunfighter i would but a standard handle works.

Nothing wrong with gas system in a ar15 midlength has a nicer recoil that carbine but not as good as rifle length.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Hey jon, is. $419 complete with the bcg? Thought you had to buy that seperate....and the Ch....

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

AgentTikki... Lead him the url of your AR sticky. ;)