Very Old Shotgun - Need Help

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by deerslayer--01, Jul 30, 2013.

1. deerslayer--01

deerslayer--01 New Member

Hello,

My boss has this old muzzle loading shotgun. No visible markings as far as a manufacturer. Between the barrels is etched with some letters. I have attached pics because I can't make out everything it says. Any help with who made it would be appreciated. The best I can see, it says STRAT ? STEEL.

Thanks Deerslayer--01

Attached Files:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My first guess would be an inexpensive import from Europe(guess-late 1800's to maybe early 1900's). Age and exact origin would require further study(and dismantling). If the stock was removed there are often proof marks stamped on the under side of the barrels. Actual maker would likely never to be found.

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

These Perc. shotguns were sold by the thousands. The period following the Civil War into the early 1900s. Sears & Robuck and other mail order firms sold these. Most of these were produced in Europe.
    There maybe "Proof" marks under the forearm? These old guns are interesting but have very little collectors value. I see guns of that type sell for around $300.:)

4. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

Given the location of the markings and apparant method of same, I'd guess someone simply scratched an identification on the rib between the barrels with an awl, knife blade or something similar.
    Makers markings would be stamped or engraved as a rule.