Very new to handguns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BigDaddyJim, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

I recently inherited some firearms from my mom (she loved to shoot), and I would like some more information about these beauties. I am looking forward to engaging in this new found passion that my mom loved.

Smith & Wesson .38 Special CTG
    Serial #: K117xxx (cannot find a model number)

Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum
    Serial #: AFY8xxx Model 66-2

Walther PPK .32 (I think it's a 1939)
    Serial #: 186xxx W

Remington .44 New Model Army Revolver
    Patent September 14, 1858
    This is a old one in AWESOME condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jim

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

close up pics of all markings would help

3. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

I will get some pics of them as soon as I can. The one that has me most intrigued is the Remington 1858 New Model revolver. Do the replicas say anywhere that they are replicas, because this one doesn't. It's in stunning condition!

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Your mother had excellent taste! Welcome to the forum. Try to swing by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

Oh, they'll all want pics. Pics are big around here.

5. roachsquasher

roachsquasher New Member

Wow...nice selection. All my mother ever used for defense was a frying pan and a rolling pin lol.

6. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

What a bunch of junk. Tell you what, just to demonstrate that I am not a cold-hearted bas#&#d, I'll do you a favor and take them off of your hands for $200.00, for the whole bunch. ;)

7. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

Heh heh heh, thanks for the offer!! :)

I fired all of them except the Remington New Model, which I have sent some pics to Remington (posted them here as well in the Black Powder section), but I've not heard anything back from them as of yet. Right now, it looks like it's an original, yet re-blued.

I need to buy a new magazine for the PPK. The spring is a bit weak (I mean, it's only 70+ years old), and the ammo jams as it tries to load. Anyone know where I can buy one of decent quality for not too much coin?

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Your mom had some great taste. CDNN Investments has good deals on Walther mags.

I look forward to some pics. Does that PPK have any Nazi marks or Waffenamts on it?

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

Have you tried looking for just the spring at midwayusa or brownells?

10. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

I wished that it did, because let's face it... those guns look way cool. I was in Berlin this past October at a Citrix convention, but I had a chance to checkout a lot of WWII history while I was there. One of the museums that we went to had a weapons display that made my jaw drop.

11. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Before you do anything to the Walther PPK, go over to the P38 forum. They have a section on PPK's. Ask any questions. I have a PPK, 1939 vintage,
    sn- 2272xx K. It has no Wafenamps, was a private purchase to an SS officer.
    I've never seen one with a W suffix serial number, but that doesn't mean there weren't any.
    You'll do better if you post some pictures.

12. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Especially, because we want to see them, :D

13. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I went over to the P-38 forum and inquired about your PPK. It appears your W suffix is a rare bird. If it were mine I wouldn't fire it or modify it in any way until you find out more about it. Keep the original magazine and spring. Treat it with 'kid gloves'. It could be very valuable.:eek:

14. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

Thanks Charlie!!! Much appreciated. I will post some pics ASAP.

Jim

15. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

Here are a few pics...

Walther PPK .32

Attached Files:

16. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

S&W .357 Magnum (this one is my favorite)

Attached Files:

17. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

S&W .38 Special CTG (not sure what year or model this one is, where do I go to be sure?)

Attached Files:

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Very nice. For the model #, swing out the cylinder and look on the frame under the swing out arm.

19. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

.38 Special CTG...

Been doing some reading, and apparently, S&W didn't always assign model numbers prior to 1956. The serial number (I am guessing that it's on the butt end of the gun) is K 1179xx.

I am thinking it might be a 1905 Military & Police issue. Can anyone verify?