Very large game poached in south Africa AK-47

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Nathantc, May 2, 2013.

1. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

cause not just rednecks in pickups use the AK-47 to hunt but wow,, guess you dont need a .700 nitro to drop large game

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_mbj3ExHD0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqtaG2ErGd0[/ame]

sks not an ak47 but same difference
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8bOLJhTwwA[/ame]

its interesting how such a small round can be used so commonly to take such large game,, legal or not

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

They are hunting elephant for ivory, rhino for horn. They chew the animal up with an AK, blind it, let it die of infection or extended blood loss. NOT a humane kill by any stretch of the imagination.

3. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

as i do agree i would still think that a single round to the skull would penetrate inside of 50 yards

though you are right in how they are really doing it but damn,, with the access to so many other weapons its strange that the AK47 seems to be the weapon of choice,,, hell even the .308 FALs seen in the video would be more suited

4. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Cheap AK's and SK's have flooded 3rd world countries like a tsunami from Russia, China and any other country with the capabilities to make a typewriter. Poverty doesn't often create full gun cabinets, weapons of War and weapons of Hunting are one in the same. Not unlike the old Kentucky Long Rifle Hay days, one gun picked off a Brit or a Buck, and everyone had one.

The scum doing these atrocities are also the same POS's that enslave and abuse their fellow countrymen because they have the guns and the general population doesnt. Kalashnikov's, knockoffs and variants are cheap, easy to manufacture and the raw materials needed are readily available.

Lastly, they nearly always fire no matter what! Throw them in the mud, use them as a wheel chock, whack trees with them, they still fire. I wish I could say that about my M16 A1, the second biggest POS ever created for a modern fighting force.

5. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

a lil off topic but the HK 416 looks promising, if chambered in a caliper more suited for the task than the lil 5.56

oh as for cheap rifles im sure they could grab a mosin or PSL just as easily, then again still not as common as an AK either

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

One of the most prolific elephant hunters used a 7mm Mauser(7x57).

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

There is no comparison here! Bell did it he right way with one well placed bain shot.;)

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That has not been my experience with the Stoner AR platforms.

Most of the young vets I meet at the legion home think their M-4 was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

My military time was slightly before the M-16, but I've used the platform in LE and for target use, and I consider it the best weapon ever designed. Certainly a 10X improvement over my issued M-1 carbine

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  9. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

get it in very adverse conditions and see how long you say that with swamp water and mud getting into it,, you will change your mind

accurate yes
    reliable yes only when cleaned
    battle weapon no wont survive with lack of care

i have had custom $3k ar10 sets up and i have had $175 beat up ak47, and the ak will survive far better but the ar will work like a precision rifle

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I dunno. It's done a damn good job of winning battles for the last 50rs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  11. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

that has much more to do with training not so much the rifle, and the fact that most are using optics, also our extreme funding when it comes to warfare

12. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I will stick my neck out here and mention the fact that our troops have had the AR's tie up in extended gunfights, due to the cheap, backward design that poots combustion gasses and trash directly back into the action.

Troops have died due to non-functioning ARs. I once viewed a video where a soldier had his AR quit, threw it down and tried another one from a nearby dead comrade.

But the AR is not just a POS; It is also a ripoff, a sucker bet.

The AR was specifically designed to be extremely cheap and easy to manufacture, as witnessed by the fact that everybody ( and his dog ) currently manufactures them. - It is a $350.00 gun, at best.

Small wonder that everybody ( and his dog ) manufactures them - the markup is outrageous. - A good way to get rich quick by scamming the suckers, of which there is apparently an unending supply.

The AR sucker situation is so bad now that they will actually pay more than the government does for them.

[​IMG]

If one were to put several thousand bucks and a lot of work into an AK, then it would be a "precision weapon" as well. - But who would be silly enough to do something like that?

A Russian or a Chinese who had more money than sense, perhaps.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is terrible and it really pisses me off. :mad:

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it does! It goes to show how different the norms and ethics of cultures vary. :mad:
    In the late 80's I nearly took a contract, along with several others in my SF unit, to go to Africa and 'hunt' these poachers. I often wish I had went.;)

15. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

You can do that?!

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Dead elephant,
    Dead poachers.
    I was sadden by the cruel death of the four legged animal, but I will not shed a tear for the two legged ones.
    As a hunter I hate those who do not respect nature. A true hunter is compassionate, respects the animal and strives for a one shot quick kill. The true hunter does not hunt a species to extinction.
    I hate these types of evil two legged animals....

Attached Files:

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

M16A2 was better than the A1, Auto on a light longarm was useless except for spray and pray, the A1 was much better than the M16, the forward assist helped big time. All were accurate, reliability wasnt consistent and the continuation of the forward assist is only proof that they never really eliminated one of the big original shortcomings from the M16 first issue weapons, failure to travel fully forward and lock in the ready fire position. None of them perform reliably unless well maintained and pretty darn clean, great for ranges and garrison, not so good for the groundpounder in the dirt and mud on continuous operations.

Dirt poor people dont have the ammo, maint facilities or the training to make an AR type weapon extra useful for a general purpose weapon much less advantage the Max effective range even if they can afford them. The AK/ SK that their grandaddy killed the Russians with is just fine for them for Americans or Rhinos.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

The AR is the most popular gun in America for a reason. It's an extremely good gun.

http://www.gundigest.com/tactical-gear-articles/tactical-guns/gun-photos-brutal-ar-15-torture-test

Let's see.

They piled dirt and sand into the gun,

ran the gun dry,

ran it way too wet and with sand again,

drowned the gun,

and yet, the gun still never failed to function.

Yeah, you guys who say an AR is not reliable when dirty appearently don't know much about ARs.

19. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

i dare you to pull the trigger on a D.I. gun under water,,, :D

20. orangello

orangello New Member

"The AR is reliable" Squirrels of the world beware. :p

When they stopped fighting Germans and started fighting little Asian people, I guess thirty caliber just didn't seem fair on such small game.