Vehicle Storage - Like a SeatVault?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, I have been trying like mad to find a SeatVault product that is no longer in production.

Basically, this was a TruckVault product that went under the rear seat of an extended cab pickup that locked, was made of steel, and was completely out of sight with the back jump seat down.

I contacted Truckvault, the don't make them anymore. :(

They recommend this cheesy assed product call a Du Ha. Yeah, I don't think so. Plastic sliding tub with little to no support and the only "lock" they offer is to replace one of the hinges on the seat with a keylock. Like you couldn't just razor knife through the side and take what you wanted. :rolleyes:

So, does anyone know of a solid, dependable, locking unit that can be put under the rear seat of an extended cab truck that can hold a long gun or two and have room for some tools.

Before anyone starts hotlinking:
    • No, I don't want a diamond plate toolbox to go behind the cab of the truck. That is where the dogs go.
    • No, I don't want one of those dumb ass bed rail units that bolt in and have your stuff bouncing all over hell.
    I was something dependable that can be out of sight, out of mind behind the rear seat for tools and other items up to and including my long gun if I am going shooting after work.

Thanks!

JD

2. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

Maybe try Tuffy?They make vehicle security products, might have what you're looking for.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Thanks Gregs, I have been there as well. No luck. Close. But not quite.

I talked with Shelli over at Truckvault and she sent me these pictures of what they used to produce. This is about perfect, I just need to find someone local who can produce something similiar.

Attached Files:

4. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I saw something very similar to that this weekend at a local tactical shoot. I remember thinking as I walked by, "I want one." Only thing is, it was in the back of a tahoe, and much larger. I'll ask around on the local forum and see if anyone know's the guy, and I'll let you know if I find anything out. No promises but i'll do the leg work.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You might can find another type here, depending on your vehicle.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If it was in the back of a tahoe, I am guessing it's from this local company.

www.truckvault.com

I had one a few years ago in another rig and it was perfect. That is why I want the same production quality, but I don't want to give up half of my bed space.

If it doesn't match, I would love to know who your guy got his from though.

Thanks brother...

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yep. Been all through there too. Even e-mailed the site. No response, but they don't seem to have anything that is capable of a long gun and still be inconspicuous. :(

8. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

Still waiting to hear back, but have you seen this

Attached Files:

9. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

okay, not sure how much cheddar u wanna blow, but highwayproducts.com says specifically on there site

"You name it. Either we've done something like it before, or we'd like to take a crack at it. Our top-flight engineers will use state-of-the-art design CAD programs and apply their cumulative 100 years of practical experience. Call us at: (800) TOOL-BOX (800-866-5269)"

Looks promising from what I can tell, lots of pics and defnitely seem to have quality craftsmanship.

Based out of oregon

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You are my new hero Jwhirl! :D

Both of those options will definitely be open in multiple windows tonight for research. :D

Where did you find that first picture? I am having trouble with the 8-Lug website.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  11. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

and now i have a new signature

12. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

it is a ford product. I actually have the part number, i'll retrieve it.

9C3Z78115A00AA LIST $517

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well crap. That unit only comes from Ford, and it's a Cabela's special. They don't even carry them from Cabela's any longer.

Looks like I am on to the engineering site. :eek:

14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You may try something like this and adapt it for your uses.

truckvault-CV-patrolmen.

From my Crown Vic friends.

15. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

The first one you showed could be welded together pretty easily. Just need to spend a little time to make a template and any decent shop could fab it for you. Might be cheaper too. Just a thought.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I got a couple of calls into some shops around here, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Found this one doing some surfing, but unsure of the dimensions.

Gun Box, Gun case, Gun safe, hunting guns, safari

More surfing to be had until tomorrow when the phone lines open again. :)

17. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

JD,

Do any of the High Schools in your area have FFA? You may be able to get the Ag mechanics students to fabricate one for you and then they may be able to sell them as fund raisers. You wouldn't believe what some of the students have built in Ag around here.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, that is a very good question. The answer is, I do not know. Most of the schools around here are "inner city" type of schools, so I don't know if they even have that sort of stuff on the curriculum anymore.

But, I will look into this further.

In other news, I did some measuring of my rig last night and was disappointed. I had found an impressive unit for sale that wasn't ideal, but it would have worked. Alas the under seat space was WELL less than the unit. :(

The search continues......

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Call me a dirty redneck, but i would try the guys at your nearest HVAC shop or home-builder's office. With the housing market in the crapper, they probably could point you to a hungry sheet metal sculptor who could bend you out something decent. Spray some of that crinkle black heavy paint on it & call it a day. You find a good sheet metal guy & he could set it up with some locks & such to keep it secure. A dedicated shop might cost a bit, but they will have the biiiiiig brake to make the wide bend.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/custom-fit-aluminum-storage-box-for-suvs/p2020644.jcwx Or maybe the Husky guys have something? I think this is an underseat plastic box by the same people, but i'm not sure about a locking system. You might have to lock the seat down or something. http://www.huskyliners.com/Gear-Box-Underseat-Storage

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010