Firearms Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Want a varmint rifle that is possible of taking deer. Is the .243 a good caliber? Looking at savage 111 trophy hunter xp
why yes it is. loaded with some 50-55 gr bullets for varmints or loaded with some 100-105 gr bullets for deer. for deer shot placement is more critical with the smaller calibers as the larger calibers give a little more margin for error. some will say the 243 is really too small and more varmint caliber rather than a deer caliber. i disagree. first deer i ever took was with my fathers 243 and it went less than about 10 yards before dropping. for varmint hunting the 243 with about 50-55 gr. bullets is a fast and flat caliber. move up to about 70-85 gr bullets for larger varmints. 243 is also an excellent shooting caliber and one a person could shoot all day as it's recoil won't beat your shoulder to death.

·
Registered
277 Posts
tnel74 said:
Want a varmint rifle that is possible of taking deer. Is the .243 a good caliber? Looking at savage 111 trophy hunter xp
Great choice. Can't go wrong with a savage or a .243 I would recommend a bull barrel job or get a cheap savage and swap the barrels out. .243 has got me more that a few 700+ yard kills. And just initiates critters under 400 yards. Use the right bullet and a deer won't go far if you hit them in the vitals.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7mmstw said:
Great choice. Can't go wrong with a savage or a .243 I would recommend a bull barrel job or get a cheap savage and swap the barrels out. .243 has got me more that a few 700+ yard kills. And just initiates critters under 400 yards. Use the right bullet and a deer won't go far if you hit them in the vitals.
What savage model do you have?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7mmstw said:
What model of savage do you have??

·
Registered
560 Posts
.243 is a great deer hunting caliber like the other dudes have noted. i plan on buying a sporter rifle in .243 so i dont have to lug my 700P through the woods anymore. my grandpa has been killing deer with the same .243 since the early 90's.

·
Banned
0 Posts
sadly i am lacking a 243 right now and need one back into my collection. it just doesn't seem quite proper to me to not have one. i still have dies and plenty of brass and bullets, so definately need one!

the 243 was the first centerfire rifle i learned to shoot as a youngster. my father still has that Winchester M70 in 243. i had the opportunity last year to clean it up for him and mount a new scope on it for him, after it had been sitting idle in his safe for over fifteen years and not being shot. well i cleaned that rifle up and mounted a new scope on it and got to shoot it for the first time in over 30 years since i left home. that rifle is still amazingly accurate and brought a lot of memories back. hunting deer with that rifle, target shooting and learning to shoot with that rifle and lots of good times spent with my father when i was young. fond memories.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.